Hillsborough Bridge lane closures
The installation of the new wastewater pipe under the Hillsborough Bridge begins October 15. The pipe will link the Town of Stratford’s wastewater treatment with the City of Charlottetown’s waste treatment facility.
The installation of the pipe will require a bridge lane closure for 6-8 weeks. The south lane will be closed during this period. To help minimize impacts on traffic, one centre lane will reverse daily based on traffic demands.
- In the morning, there will be two lanes for traffic traveling from Stratford to Charlottetown, with one lane for traffic from Charlottetown to Stratford.
- In the afternoon, there will be two lanes for traffic traveling from Charlottetown to Stratford, with one lane for traffic from Stratford to Charlottetown.
Drivers will be diverted into the correct lanes before they reach the bridge. Reduce speed, be prepared to stop and follow the direction of signs, traffic signals and traffic control personnel. Minor delays can be expected.
To help keep everyone safe, there will be temporary safety measures in place during this phase of construction:
- the speed limit on the bridge will be reduced to 50 km/h.
- pedestrians will only be allowed to use the walkway on the north side of the bridge
- cycling will not be allowed on the bridge, however cyclists may walk their bikes using the pedestrian walkway on the north side of the bridge.
Work is expected to be complete on this construction phase by December. Work will continue under the bridge through the winter, however this work will have minimal impact on traffic.