About: Economic Development and Tourism
The Department of Economic Development and Tourism is committed to expanding Prince Edward Island's exports, creating jobs, and promoting overall economic growth and prosperity by encouraging business investment, development and sales in key economic sectors. The department strives for innovation by creating more opportunities for business, trade, jobs, and continuing to promote PEI as one of the world's best tourist destinations.
Some of the priorities in this mandate are to:
- Lead the Sales PEI initiative to create greater success for PEI companies in export markets;
- Review major physical assets that can translate into potential business development opportunities;
- Lead the recruitment and retention of immigrant investors to PEI;
- Ensure that business conditions on PEI, including red tape reduction, regulatory alignment and investment support help successful start up and acceleration;
- Reach into key tourism markets in the U.S., Europe, and Asia; and
- Build our worldwide reputation as "Canada's Food Island."
Structure and Employees
The Tourism PEI Marketing Division aggressively markets and promotes Prince Edward Island as a premier vacation destination through a comprehensive network of channels such as trade and sales, advertising and publicity, digital marketing and visitor services.View employee list
The Strategic Initiatives Division is responsible for guiding policy strategic planning, regulatory affairs and evaluation of tourism as an economic driver on Prince Edward Island.
Through various support programs, the Division is responsible for guidance and investment in Regional Tourism Associations and other sector groups to develop tourism products and strengthen capacity that ultimately benefits the tourism industry as a whole on PEI.
The Division oversees regulatory affairs that include enforcement of the Tourism Industry Act and the Highway Signage Act.
The Division is the lead liaison for intergovernmental affairs including an advocacy role to represent the interests of the tourism industry in key policy areas.View employee list
This unit is responsible for: working with all industry stakeholders to attract and grow tourism development opportunities, focusing on key verticals, (coastal, culinary, culture and golf) while increasing the awareness of the economic significance of tourism to provincial and local economies.
All regulatory functions administered under the authority of the Tourism Industry Act and Regulations as well as the Highway Signage Act and Regulations.
View employee list
The Tourism Corporate Services/Golf/Parks Division of Tourism PEI is responsible for general administration, financial services, records management, risk management, provincial parks and provincial golf operations.View employee list
Agencies, Boards and Commissions
- Anne of Green Gables Licensing Authority
- Charlottetown Area Development Corporation
- Charlottetown Civic Centre Management Inc.
- Finance PEI (Finance PEI Board)
- Innovation PEI (Innovation PEI Board)
- Island Investment Development Inc.
- Summerside Regional Development Corporation
- Tourism Advisory Council
- Tourism Arbitration Board
- Tourism PEI Board