About: Education and Lifelong Learning
The Department of Education and Lifelong Learning develops and delivers high quality programs and curriculum in English and French to Island children from birth to Grade 12. The department provides corporate services, including general and financial administration, staff certification, research, planning and evaluation, human resources and school athletics.
Some of the priorities in this mandate are to:
- Lead the implementation of changes to advance educational excellence in the province
- Provide leadership in creating opportunities for student success in the education system
- Build technology capacity and engagement in schools
- Work with other social policy departments on a renewed Poverty Reduction Strategy and Mental Health and Addictions Strategy
Structure and Employees
Every Canadian jurisdiction designates a Minister responsible for Status of Women and assigns staff resources to support the Minister in the role. The Interministerial Women's Secretariat:
- assists the Minister and government in the promotion and protection of gender equality.
- provides assistance to the provincial government to promote the legal, health, social and economic equality of women.
- is mandated to partner with community on projects to promote the status of women
- works in partnership with Island women's organizations to develop projects, programs and services that benefit women from Prince Edward Island.
- works across all Government to advance equality and opportunity for women in policies and programs.
The Secretariat funds the Advisory Council on the Status of Women, an arms-length from government advisory agency. PEI is one of seven jurisdictions with both an internal Women's Secretariat and a publically appointed Advisory Council on the Status of Women.View employee list
Under the Archives and Records Act, the Public Archives and Records Office (PARO) acquires, preserves, and makes available the records of the Government of Prince Edward Island as well as private sector records of lasting historical value.
The Public Archives Unit acquires, preserves, and makes material accessible for researchers; provides reference services; and engages in education and outreach in the community
The Recorded Information Management (RIM) Unit delivers a corporate program providing central recorded information management services, including a records centre facility; and provides RIM support and training to all departments, agencies, corporations, and commissions within government.View employee list
Agencies, Boards and Commissions
- Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority
- Board of Governors of the University of Prince Edward Island
- Certification and Standards Board
- Child Care Facilities Board
- Education Negotiation Agency
- Holland College Board of Governors
- Island Regulatory and Appeals Commission
- Maritime Provinces Higher Education Commission
- Prince Edward Island School Athletic Association (PEISAA)
- Provincial Apprenticeship Board
- Teachers' Superannuation Commission