About: Rural and Regional Development
The Department of Rural and Regional Development will lead the interconnected work of rural and regional development issues related to economy, population, community and growth.
Some of the priorities in this mandate are to:
- Develop a comprehensive approach to rural and regional development that draws on all parts of government to build sustained growth throughout Prince Edward Island.
- Advance a rural population strategy built on retention, recruitment and repatriation
- Deliver employment investment and entrepreneurial development services for rural Prince Edward Island
- Collaborate with community and business leaders, as well as existing development organizations, to ensure coordinated approaches to regional growth opportunities
- Identify rural development successes and promote the benefits and assets of rural Prince Edward Island and the development opportunities.
The Minister will be supported by a Secretariat, with core offices located in Summerside and Montague, and satellite services in Alberton, O'Leary, Wellington, Bedeque, Charlottetown and Souris.
Structure and Employees
The Employment Development Agency supports individuals who are hindered from gaining permanent employment by providing access to training and meaningful work experiences. The agency provides financial support to non-profit organizations, municipalities, public sector departments and private sector companies to stimulate job development and support its clients.View employee list
The Rural Economic Development division supports Islanders through community based client service delivery. This division serves to connect, promote and facilitate growth and prosperity through community planning and capacity building in Rural Prince Edward Island. The division will provide support to rural communities’ strategic economic and regional support projects through the implementation of innovative ideas which aim to enhance development.View employee list