About: Workforce and Advanced Learning
The Department of Workforce and Advanced Learning works with all ministries towards greater prosperity and enhanced employment opportunities for Islanders. The department is focused on the continued development of a skilled workforce, a culture of entrepreneurship, and the recruitment and retention of a talented and productive population. It also works to grow the population through the recruitment of newcomers, the resettlement of former Islanders, and the retention of young Islanders as long-term residents and citizens of Prince Edward Island.
Some of the priorities in this mandate are to:
- Drive the overall plan for economic prosperity, including: growth in knowledge-based industries, fostering a culture of entrepreneurship, contributing to the PEl sales effort, and recruiting and retaining the population needed to meet these goals
- Build a population and workforce strategy with an objective of growth in key economic sectors and GDP growth above the national average
- Develop policies and improved efforts on migration, especially the repatriation of Islanders, immigration and increased retention
- Establish more detailed labour market projections for PEl
- Develop long-term plans for higher education to increase opportunities for young Islanders