ARIP: Technology and Science Adoption Subprogram
Applicants wishing to apply for 2017/2018 fiscal year should contact the Program Administrator.
The Technology and Science Adoption sub-program has two purposes:
- to encourage the adoption of best practices, new technologies, and processes that will improve efficiency and profit margins.
- to provide assistance for process improvement and technology adoption and implementation.
Who is eligible for funding?
- Agricultural producers
- Groups of agriculture producers
- Small to medium-sized Agri-processors
- Provincial agricultural industry organizations, clubs, and associations
- Others may be considered upon special request
- Applicants must be a resident of Prince Edward Island
What activities are eligible for funding?
- projects must implement and/or evaluate efficiency principles that may lead to reduce costs, add value, improve efficiency, improve product quality and food safety, or increase market access.
What expenses are eligible for funding?
- Process improvement audits as completed by a consultant with demonstrated background and qualifications (i.e. Certified Crop Advisor, LEAN Principles) as related to the assessment
- Purchase of small capital items as a component of a process improvement
- Monitors or sensors which improve on-farm automation and recording, as prioritized by industry for adoption
- Renovations to existing infrastructure
- Modifications to equipment to improve efficiency
- Other items as deemed eligible by the program review committee.
What expenses are not funded?
- Capital items previously covered under the Growing Forward Agriculture Stewardship Program (2009-2013)
- Use of funding to subsidize purchase of common items that can be used for multiple purposes (i.e. digital cameras, GPS, Smart phones)
- Crop and land management and improvement activities will generally not be eligible, but may be reviewed on a case by case basis
- Labor, in-kind, and meal expenses
- Seed, plants and livestock
- Training courses
- Construction of buildings or other facilities
- Non arms-length transactions
- Administration and overhead
What funding assistance is available?
- Consultant fees for the assessment will be funded at 50% of eligible costs, to a maximum of $ 5,000
- Process improvement projects will be funded at 35% of eligible costs, to a maximum of $ 5,000
- Sensors and monitoring tools will be funded at 70% of eligible costs to a maximum of $ 2,500
- Maximum allowable funding per applicant is $15,000 over the five year Growing Forward 2 program (2015-2018)
How do I apply?
- Complete the Technology and Science Adoption Application form addressing each of the following areas provided in the template.
- Project submissions will be reviewed monthly.
Is there a deadline?
The deadline for applications is the end of each month. Proposals will be accepted for each monthly deadline until funds are fully committed.
- An assessment is required as a part of the application process. Any cost incurred for this assessment is an eligible expense. The assessment may also be completed by the applicant, or by a Departmental staff member.
- Applicants will identify a process improvement, conduct a cost benefit analysis, and provide projected improvements or processes that may be realized as a part of that assessment.
- Following implementation and evaluation of the process improvement, a final report must be submitted identifying the actual results.
How do I claim the funding?
To be reimbursed, applicants must submit a claim form to the Prince Edward Island Department of Agriculture and Fisheries with invoices and proof of payment, project report and a program evaluation.
Forward completed application and claim forms to:
PEI Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
PO Box 2000, 5th Floor Jones
Phone: (902)368-4815 or Cell: (902)314-0828