Concentrated Flow Analysis Program
The Concentrated Flow Analysis program will provide an opportunity for producers to have their fields assessed using geographic information system analysis (GIS) and, in consultation with a soil conservation specialist, determine areas of potential soil erosion and discuss management options.
Identifying areas of concentrated flow will provide producers with the necessary information to make informed decisions on soil conservation measures.
What is the focus of the program?
The focus of the program will be to identify areas where water will collect and then flow creating channels. These areas of concentrated flow can be minimized with the establishment of grass waterways.
What are grassed waterways?
Grass waterways are the easiest and most effective soil conservation features to implement. They are designed to
- move water across agriculture fields without causing soil erosion;
- slow water flow and protect the channel surface from the eroding forces of runoff;
- reduce the impact of soil erosion on streams and watercourses protecting soil quality on the farm.
Who is eligible for funding?
- PEI Farmers
What funding assistance is available?
Activities identified through the process may be eligible for funding under the Canada Agriculture Partnership (CAP) starting in April 2018.
How do I apply?
- Complete the application form and identify property numbers of fields to be analyzed (List properties in order of priority. Fields analyzed per farm may be limited based on program uptake).
- Submit application forms to the Sustainable Agriculture Section
What happens next?
- An analysis is completed and field maps generated indicating areas of concentrated flow
- The producer will be contacted by Soil Conservation specialist to set up a consultation
- Soil conservation features will be identified for establishment or possible construction in 2018 field season.
- Application maybe prepared for eligible funding through the Canada Agriculture Partnership (CAP).
Is there program deadline?
November 2017 to April 2018
Forward a completed, signed application form to:
PEI Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
Sustainable Agriculture Section
11 Kent Street - 5th Floor Jones Building