OIDP: Certified Organic Land Conversion Subprogram
Applicants wishing to apply for 2017/2018 fiscal year should contact the Program Administrator.
The purpose of this subprogram is:
- to encourage expansion of the certified organic land base on PEI and encourage diversification of the sector.
- to mitigate risks associated with converting conventional farm land to certified organic. The assistance is based on the amount of risk associated with the specific crop groups.
Who is eligible for funding?
- Agricultural producers
What activities are funded?
Funding is available for land in the first year of organic certification.
What funding is available?
Amount of Assistance per Acre of Production
- Perennial Horticultural crops - $1500/acre
- Annual fruit and vegetables - $700/acre
- Greenhouse crops - $0.30/ft2
- Cereals, oilseeds and pulses - $70/acre
The maximum funding per farm operation is $10,000 per year.
How do I apply?
- Complete the Certified Organic Land Conversion Application form. Applicants must show proof from the certifier that the land is in the first year of certified organic production.
- A copy of the field history summary from their Application for Certification for the previous and current year must be submitted.
- Where Production Insurance is available, farmers must purchase insurance for the intended crops and submit copies of the Final Acreage Report with their application.
How do I claim?
To be reimbursed, applicants must submit a claim form with a copy of their Organic Certificate and the PEI Agricultural Crop Insurance Corporation Production Summary for the eligible acreage.
Forward completed application and claim forms to:
Organic Development Officer
PEI Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
5th floor Jones Building, P.O. Box 2000
11 Kent Street
Charlottetown, PE, C1A 7N8
Phone: (902) 314-0825
Fax: (902) 368-4857