Product and Market Development Program
Applicants wishing to apply for 2017/2018 fiscal year should contact the Program Administrator.
The purpose of the Product and Market Development program is:
- to assist agricultural producers, agri-businesses and agri-processors seeking to expand their product base or markets
The program is focused on increasing competitiveness of Prince Edward Island’s agriculture and agrifood sector by assisting with market intelligence, market exploratory activities, market delivery logistics, new product development and market readiness in new and emerging markets.
Who is eligible for funding?
- Agricultural producers
- Small to medium-sized Agri-businesses
- Small to medium-sized Agri-processors (after the Innovation PEI Marketing Support Program has been exhausted and subject to resource availability)
- Provincial agricultural industry organizations, clubs, and associations
- Others may be considered upon special request
What activities are eligible for funding assistance?
- Attending (but not exhibiting) a trade show once for the purpose of exploring new markets;
- Investigative travel to new or emerging markets;
- Incoming buyer missions of new buyers from export markets for the purpose of gathering market intelligence;
- Research for the purpose of exploring new and emerging markets;
- Feasibility studies related to delivery of products to new and emerging markets;
- Translation and legal consultation;
- Consulting or business coaching on applied market research and value chain development;
- Understanding the logistics of delivery of Prince Edward Island products from the farm gate to the client, including hands-on mentoring and training
- Professional services
- Process development
- Recipe development; (If work is completed at the PEI Food Technology Center, funding is available after Innovation PEI funding is exhausted)
- Purchase of equipment to process, package and label new products (including nutritional labeling)
- Brand development
- Focus groups for the purposes of developing attributes for a product line
- Analytical and quality testing
- Design and printing of first packaging production
- Travel to the point of sale
- Design and printing of promotional items to maximum number of units (e.g. 1000 brochures).
What expenses are eligible for funding?
- registration fees for attending tradeshows
- consultant / professional services fees
- equipment to process, package and label new products
- promotional items
Capital equipment costs are at discretion of the PEI Department of Agriculture and Fisheries provided they meet criteria within the bilateral agreement.
What expenses are not eligible for funding?
- Meal expenses
- Replacement of old equipment
- Freight of product to market
- In-kind services (including wages) and supplies
What funding assistance is available?
- Investigative travel (including trade shows and buyers missions):
- up to 50% of eligible expenses to a maximum of $5,000 for agricultural producers, agri-businesses, and agri-processors
- 75% of eligible expenses to a maximum of $10,000 for provincial agricultural industry organizations, clubs and associations
- maximums for investigative travel expenses are per project and multiple projects are possible
- All other eligible expenses
- up to 50% of the expense to a maximum of $30,000 for farmers, agri-businesses, and agri-processors
- up to 75% of the expenses to a maximum of $30,000 for provincial agricultural industry organizations, clubs and associations
- maximums are per project and multiple projects are possible
How do I apply for funding?
- Submit a completed application form to the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Projects may require a business/marketing plan to be considered complete. Funding may be available to assist with the completion of a business / marketing plan. Please contact the Product and Marketing Development Program lead for details.
- Travel assistance applications must submit a travel itinerary including details on market investigation or trade mission activities.
- Market and/or product development assistance may submit a business plan and/or a marketing plan that demonstrates how the new market will increase profitability for the business; and provide detail on how product from Prince Edward Island will be sourced and presented to the market.
All applications will be reviewed by the program lead. Eligible projects will be reviewed by an internal committee which will determine approval or denial. The decision of this committee will be conveyed in writing to the applicant. Project approval is at the discretion of the committee. Applicants requesting funding for multiple projects may be evaluated based on the success of previous projects.
How do I claim the funding assistance?
Submit a claim form to the Prince Edward Island Department of Agriculture and Fisheries with invoices and proof of payment, project report and a program evaluation.
For multi-year projects, a payment may be processed once per year following the submission of a claim form, a detailed progress report along with proof of payment documenting expenditures.
Forward completed application and claim forms to:
PEI Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
PO Box 2000, 5th Floor Jones
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Telephone: (902) 940-0871
Fax: (902) 368-4857
When will this program end?
This program is effective April 1, 2013 and will terminate on March 31, 2018. This program may be altered or discontinued without notice by the Minister of Agriculture and Fisheries.