Building and Development in PEI

Notice - New procedures during COVID-19 Pandemic

Inspection Services and Provincial Planning Offices located in Charlottetown and Summerside will reopen to the public on June 15, 2020. Meetings with inspectors or planning staff will be by appointment only.

Montague and O’Leary locations will be accessible to the public by appointment only.

Please be advised that there will be screening protocols and operational procedures in place to protect both the public and our staff.

Clients with appointments are asked to call the staff person they have arranged to meet when they arrive. Directions on when and where to enter the building will be explained.

We wish to remind the public that many of our permits and licenses can be applied for online.

Additionally applications will be accepted via email, fax or mail.

Phone: 902-368-5280
Fax: 902-368-5526

Phone: 902-432-2802
Fax: 902-888-8059


Mail: 31 Gordon Drive, Charlottetown, PE, C1A 6B8  

Effective March 31, 2020, both the Building Codes Act and corresponding Regulations reflect the administration and enforcement requirements of a new Building Permit Process. The process to apply for a Building Permit in PEI is updated to comply with the following codes:

To review updated provincial building regulations, refer to Building Code Act Regulations - Plain Language Version.

Note exemptions: The new Building Permit process will not apply to the following:

  1. Any project for which an application for a Development Permit was made on or before April 25, 2020, or 
  2. Single-family or semi-detached homes started prior to March 31, 2021, including associated projects, e.g. a shed, deck or detached garage.

Which permit(s) do I need?

In almost all instances both a Development Permit AND a Building Permit will be required before construction can begin on a project.

  • Development Permit – specifies land use and how a structure is situated on a given parcel of land. This permit will issued in accordance with the provincial Planning Act.
  • Building Permit – ensures that a structure is designed and constructed in compliance with construction codes, e.g. the National Building Code. This permit will be issued in accordance with the provincial Building Codes Act.

Where do I get the permits? 

A permit may be issued by a municipality or by the provincial government, depending on the location of the property.

  • Municipalities of Charlottetown, Stratford and Summerside issue their own Development and Building Permits. Contact their respective municipal offices for more information.
  • Municipalities with an official plan and land-use bylaws issue their own Development Permits so you must apply directly to the municipality for the Development Permit. However, you must apply to the Land Division of the provincial government for a Building Permit for these jurisdictions. 
  • If your property is located outside a municipality, or within a municipality without an official plan and land-use bylaws, you must apply to the Land Division for both a Development and Building Permit Application . 

For municipal contact details refer to the Municipal Directory.

How do I know if the municipality has an official plan?

To determine if a PEI municipality has an official plan, view the Municipal Boundaries Map

Where can I find more information on building permits?

More information is available on the Building Standards of PEI web page.

For more information on Development Permits see below.

Where do I find information regarding setbacks? 

Setbacks are the minimum distance a building structure or sewage disposal system must be set back from adjacent property boundaries, a roadway, body of water, or other protected areas. To determine minimum setback requirements, please refer to the Development/Sewage Disposal Systems Setbacks Guide.

How do I find out if a permit has been approved?

To find the status of municipal or provincial Development Permits or other planning decisions such as a subdivision approval or zoning bylaw amendment, search PEI Planning Decisions

Can I appeal a permit once it is approved?

Once a Development Permit is approved, interested parties have 21 days from the date of issue to appeal to the Island Regulatory and Appeals Commission (IRAC). Please note that this appeal process does not apply to Building Permits.

To determine your right to appeal, please review Section 28 of the PEI Planning Act.

Who can I contact for more information?

Inspection Services
J. Elmer Blanchard Building
31 Gordon Drive
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8

Phone: 902-368-5280

Published date: 
June 12, 2020
Agriculture and Land

General Inquiries

Provincial Planning
J. Elmer Blanchard Building
31 Gordon Drive
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8

Phone: 902-368-5590
Fax: 902-368-5526