Home Heat Tank Management
Notice - New procedures during COVID-19 Pandemic
Inspection Services and Provincial Planning Offices located in Charlottetown, Montague and Summerside remain open to the public with reduced occupancy. Meetings with inspectors or planning staff will be by appointment only (see telephone numbers listed below).
The O’Leary location will be accessible to the public by appointment only by calling 902-213-7884.
Please be advised that there are be screening protocols and operational procedures in place to protect both the public and our staff.
We wish to remind the public that many of our permits and licenses can be applied for online.
Additionally applications will be accepted via email, fax or mail:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (link sends e-mail)
Mail: 31 Gordon Drive, Charlottetown, PE, C1A 6B8
Who is responsible for home heat tank management?
Home heat tank management is every homeowner’s responsibility. To help prevent a spill before it occurs or detect a spill early homeowner’s should:
- check the age of your tank
- check tank connections on a regular basis
- check for signs of corrosion and leaks
- check to ensure that installation and inspections are done by a licensed installer
- check to ensure tank foundation is stable and solid
- check on winter tank safety procedures
- check on your insurance coverage
Signs that your tanks should be replaced immediately include:
- an unexplained oil-like substance or wet area near your tank
- a nearby soil stained by petroleum
- strong and constant smell petroleum near your tank
- smell or taste of petroleum in you water
- tank is discoloured or damp on the bottom.
Every person who has reason to believe that petroleum is leaking or has leaked from a home heat tank system shall immediately:
- notify the owner of the home heat tank system; and
- report the leak by telephoning one of the numbers below
Who do I call to report an oil spill?
Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM: 1-866-368-5044 (PEI Department of Communities, Land and Environment)
Evenings and weekends: 1-800-565-1633 (Canadian Coast Guard)
Who can I contact for more information?
Steve Townsend (Chief Officer Boiler, Pressure Vessel, LP Gas, Plumbing and Home Heat Tank)
J. Elmer Blanchard Building
31 Gordon Drive
Telephone: (902) 368-5567
Fax: (902) 368-5526