Home Heat Tank Program (Administration)
Inspection Services and Provincial Planning Offices located in Charlottetown and Summerside will reopen to the public on June 15, 2020. Meetings with inspectors or planning staff will be by appointment only.
Montague and O’Leary locations will be accessible to the public by appointment only.
Please be advised that there will be screening protocols and operational procedures in place to protect both the public and our staff.
Clients with appointments are asked to call the staff person they have arranged to meet when they arrive. Directions on when and where to enter the building will be explained.
We wish to remind the public that many of our permits and licenses can be applied for online.
Additionally applications will be accepted via email, fax or mail.
Mail: 31 Gordon Drive, Charlottetown, PE, C1A 6B8
What is a home heat tank?
A home heat tank is an above ground storage tank that:
- has a capacity of 2200 litres or less
- is installed in a fixed location
- is connected or intended to be connected to oil burning equipment
Note: Only a licensed installer can install, alter, or remove a home heat tank.
What are the requirements for a home heat tank?
The current requirements are that:
- all new or replacement tank installations outside must be non-metallic
- all new or replacement tank installations inside must be double-walled or non-metallic
- oil burning equipment includes furnaces, water heaters, ranges and stoves
- tanks expire on December 31 of the expiry years stamped on the ID tag regardless if a month is included with the expiry year
- identification tags that are stamped XX have no expiry year
- no delivery after June 30 of the year of tank expiration and the tank must be out of service by December 31 of that year
- the re-sale and/or re-use of a used tank requires prior departmental approval
Who can I contact for more information?
Steve Townsend (Chief Officer Boiler, Pressure Vessel, LP Gas, Plumbing and Home Heat Tank)
J. Elmer Blanchard Building
31 Gordon Drive
Telephone: (902) 368-5567
Fax: (902) 368-5526