Oil Tank Disposal
How do I properly remove and dispose a used oil tank?
Failing to properly prepare an oil tank for disposal can result in an environmental damage, such as groundwater contamination or third party property damage.
When a tank is no longer in use, the owner shall arrange a licensee to:
- Ensure that all petroleum is removed from the tank
- Disconnect all exposed piping or tubing from the tank system
- Remove fill and vent pipes and remove the system from its location
- The licensee must return the identification tag to the Department of Communities, Land and Environment
- The tank can be taken to a scrap metal recyclers or Waste Watch Drop Off-Centres permitted to accept scrap metal and/or recyclable materials under the Materials Stewardship and Recycling Regulations
Who can I contact for more information?
Chief Boiler Inspector
J. Elmer Blanchard Building
31 Gordon Drive
Telephone: (902) 368-5567
Fax: (902) 368-5526
January 6, 2023