Oil Tank Disposal
Notice - New procedures during COVID-19 Pandemic
Inspection Services and Provincial Planning Offices located in Charlottetown, Montague and Summerside remain open to the public with reduced occupancy. Meetings with inspectors or planning staff will be by appointment only (see telephone numbers listed below).
The O’Leary location will be accessible to the public by appointment only by calling 902-213-7884.
Please be advised that there are be screening protocols and operational procedures in place to protect both the public and our staff.
We wish to remind the public that many of our permits and licenses can be applied for online.
Additionally applications will be accepted via email, fax or mail:
Email: email@example.com (link sends e-mail)
Mail: 31 Gordon Drive, Charlottetown, PE, C1A 6B8
How do I properly remove and dispose a used oil tank?
Failing to properly prepare an oil tank for disposal can result in an environmental damage, such as groundwater contamination or third party property damage.
When a tank is no longer in use, the owner shall arrange a licensee to:
- Ensure that all petroleum is removed from the tank
- Disconnect all exposed piping or tubing from the tank system
- Remove fill and vent pipes and remove the system from its location
- The licensee must return the identification tag to the Department of Communities, Land and Environment
- The tank can be taken to a scrap metal recyclers or Waste Watch Drop Off-Centres permitted to accept scrap metal and/or recyclable materials under the Materials Stewardship and Recycling Regulations
Who can I contact for more information?
Steve Townsend (Chief Officer Boiler, Pressure Vessel, LP Gas, Plumbing and Home Heat Tank)
J. Elmer Blanchard Building
31 Gordon Drive
Telephone: (902) 368-5567
Fax: (902) 368-5526