Subdivision of Land

Notice - New procedures during COVID-19 Circuit Breaker

Provincial Planning and Inspection Services

The Land Division's Provincial Planning and Inspection Services Sections offices will provide services virtually. Appointments can be made for those essential services that cannot be provided remotely. 

  • Information for Building and Development Permit Applications can be found here
  • Information for Subdivision Applications can be found on this page. 
  • For all other services use online services, if available.


Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns at:

  • Charlottetown (902)-368-5280
  • Monatgue (902)-838-0605
  • Summrside (902)-432-2802 .

When do I need to apply for a subdivision approval?

A subdivision approval is required when any parcel of land is divided (e.g., to create a new lot or lots). An approval is also required to add more land to an existing lot, or to join two or more lots. 

Where do I apply, and who issues the approval? 

If your property is in a municipality that has an Official Plan and Zoning Bylaw, contact the local municipality office. To find out if you live in a Municipality with an official plan refer to our Municipal Boundaries Map. You can refer to the Municipal Land Use Planning page for more information. 

For properties within a Municipality without an official plan and bylaw and properties outside of a Municipality it is the Province's jurisdiction. 

How do I submit an application? 

The subdivision approval process can vary depending upon the location and number of lots proposed. Contact a Safety Standards Officer below to guide you through the process. 

Download and complete the Application for Permission to Subdivide Land / Change Use

What are the fees? 

Refer to the schedule of fees. HST is not required and make cheques payable to the Minister of Finance.

Can I appeal a decision (to approve or reject a property subdivision)?

If you wish to appeal a decision regarding the subdivision of land, you may file an appeal with the Island Regulatory and Appeals Commission (IRAC) within 21 days following the date on which the decision was issued. To determine whether you have a right of appeal, carefully review Section 28 of the PEI Planning Act - Subdivision and Development Regulations.

Published date: 
March 1, 2021
Agriculture and Land

General Inquiries

Provincial Planning
J. Elmer Blanchard Building
31 Gordon Drive
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8

Phone: 902-368-5590
Fax: 902-368-5526