Pesticide Applicator Continuing Education Course (CEC)
What is the Pesticide Applicator Continuing Education Courses (CEC’s)?
- The Continuing Education Courses will enable a holder of a Pesticide Class A Applicator Certificate to renew their certification without writing the Class A exam.
- Certification is required every 5 years.
- These courses are for RENEWING the Class A Certificate only.
Who delivers the courses?
PEi Department of Agriculture
What is a Pesticide Class A Applicator Certificate?
An individual or company wanting to apply a commercial class pesticide to an agricultural crop must obtain a pesticide applicator certificate for agricultural use through the Department of Environment, Energy and Climate Change.
*First time applicators must write an exam and achieve a mark of 75% or better to obtain the certificate.
Who is eligible to participate in the continuing education courses?
You must have successfully written the Class A Pesticide Exam and have a valid Pesticide Class A Certificate.
What topics are covered in the two courses?
There are two courses available: DAY A and DAY B
- Day A – Topics:
Information, Pesticides and the Land, Aquatic Impact of Pesticides, Environmental Safety, and Application Technology.
- Day B - Topics:
Emergency Response, First Aid, Pesticide Monitoring & Enforcement, Labeling, Professionalism, Traceability, Integrated Pest Management, and Human Health & Safety.
How do I collect my CEC’s?
- Due to Covid-19 all courses will be online for the 2022/23 training year.
- You are required to attend both DAY A and DAY B courses over a 5 year period to renew your pesticide class A applicator certificate before it expires.
- You must Pre-Register for either DAY A or DAY B course with the PEI Department of Agriculture and Land.
- You can only be credited with one of the courses per year.
- Attend the course.
Who maintains a record of my attendance?
PEI Department of Agriculture keeps a record of the course dates, locations and attendance.
Can I take both Day A and Day B in the same year?
You will only be credited with one day per year. This is a continuing education program.
When are the continuing education courses offered?
Courses are held during the winter months, December through March, at various locations across PEI.
Due to Covid-19 some courses will be ONLINE for the 2022/23 training year.
|Day A||Day B|
|December 6, 2022||December 8, 2022|
|January 17, 2023||January 19, 2023|
|February 21, 2023||February 23, 2023|
|March 21, 2023||March 23, 2023|
IN PERSON CEC training schedule (limited number of seats):
|Location||Day A||Day B|
|O'Leary||January 10, 2023||January 11, 2023|
|Montague||January 31, 2023||February 1, 2023|
Does it cost to attend a course?
For the 2022/23 training year:
- ON LINE courses - no cost
- IN PERSON - $25 registration fee to attend the course. Lunch and refreshments are provided.
- Registration begins at 8:15 a.m.
- Information sessions are 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
What is the cost to renew my Pesticide Class A Applicator Certificate?
The 5-year certificate fee is $75 HST included. The fee must be paid before the certificate will be issued.
This is payable to the PEI Department of Environment, Energy and Climate Change. Cheques must be made payable to the Minister of Finance.
Are there alternate options available to renew my Pesticide Class A Applicator Certificate?
OPTION 1 - On Line training course with on line exam
You can renew your license or obtain a new license by attending an On Line training course and writing the On Line exam. There is no cost to take the course or to write the exam. The five-year certificate fee is $75 (HST included). The $75 fee must be paid before you register for the Class A Exams
When are the training courses?
The 2022/23 ON LINE training courses schedule for the week of is as follows:
|December 12-16, 2022|
|January 23-27, 2023|
|February 13-17. 2023|
|March 6-10, 2023|
|March 27-31, 2023|
|April 17-21, 2023|
How do I register?
Contact Agriculture Technician at 902-368-4154 or 902-368-4880 at the Department of Agriculture and Land.
OPTION 2 - Write the exam:
- Write the two hour exam.
- Review the Agricultural Training Manual
- Make an appointment with the Department of Environment, Energy and Climate Change by contacting Debbie MacRae at (902) 368-5024 or Thane Clarke at (902) 368-5599
What is the cost?
- There is no cost to write the exam.
- The 5-year certificate fee is $75 HST included. The $75 fee must be paid before you register for the Class A Exams. This is payable to the PEI Department of Environment, Energy and Climate Change. Cheques must be made payable to the Minister of Finance.
What if my pesticide class A applicator certificate is expiring in a few months and I have not attended any CEC’s?
You only have one option: Write the two hour exam.
Make an appointment with the Department of Environment, Energy and Climate Change in Charlottetown by calling Thane Clarke at (902) 368-5599
For more information or to register for a Continuing Education Course, contact:
PEI Department of Agriculture
5th Floor Jones Building - 11 Kent Street
Phone: (902)-368-4154 or (902)-368-4880