2017 Extended Angling Season
When does the 2017 extended angling rainbow trout and Atlantic salmon seasons start?
The Extended Rainbow Trout Season runs from September 16 to November 30, 2017. The Extended Atlantic Salmon Season runs from September 16 to October 31, 2017 on the Morell River and Mill River (see below).
What do I require to participate in the extended season?
You need to have:
- 2017 PEI Angling license
- 2017 Wildlife Conservation Fund fee
And prior to participating, you must register and pick up an Extended Angling Season log book. Anglers can either:
- Register at the Forests, Fish and Wildlife Office at 183 Upton Rd in Charlottetown
- Any Access PEI office
- or by Email to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please include the words 2017 Extended Angling Season Registration in the subject box and include your name, current mailing address and other contact information in the body of the message. A log book will be sent to you as a printable attachment.
Are there any special angling requirements?
- Creel limit is three rainbow trout/day
- Single barbless fly or barbless lure only
- Atlantic salmon can only be fished on sections of the Morell River (see Morell Salmon map)
- Only a barbless fly can be used for the extended Atlantic salmon season
- And you must complete and submit the log book at the end of the extended rainbow trout and Atlantic Salmon season.
Where can I fish for rainbow trout during the extended season?
The 2017 the Extended Angling Season for Rainbow Trout map (1.1M) provides a general outline of participating rivers. For more detailed information on each river and pond, please consult the links listed below.
Boughton River - Downstream from Ross's Dam in Bridgetown (0.3M)
Bradshaw River - Affleck's Pond (0.3M)
Clyde River - All waters downstream from the TCH in Clyde River (0.4M)
Dunk River - All waters downstream from the Walls Road in South Freetown (0.4M)
Fortune River - Downstream from Fortune River Road (0.4M)
Hillsborough River - Downstream from railway bridge in Mount Stewart (0.5M)
Murray River - MacLures Pond, from the dam to the golf course bridge (0.3M)
North River - All waters downstream from the North (York) River Road in Milton (0.3M)
Montague River - All waters downstream from the pool below Knox's Pond (Sparrow's Road Bridge)( Rte 320) (0.4M)
Orwell River - All waters downstream from the TCH in Orwell (0.5M(
Pisquid River - Downstream from the bridge at Fort Augustus Road (Rte 21) (0.5M)
Souris River - All sections of the main river downstream from the Gowanbrae Bridge (Rte 358) (0.4M)
Valleyfield River - All waters downstream from the Valleyfield Road known as "Sutherland's Hole" (Rte 326) (0.4M)
Vernon River - Downstream from a point 100 metres above the causeway (0.5M)
West River - All waters downstream from the "Foot Bridge" on the Green Road in Bonshaw (0.3M)
Westmoreland River - All waters of the east branch downstream from Rte 13 below Sherrens Pond (0.4M)
Wilmot River - Marchbanks Pond only (0.3M)
Where Can I fish for Atlantic salmon during the 2017 Extended Season?
Mill River will have an extended season for Atlantic Salmon in 2017. This catch and release season will extend from September 16-October 31, using single barbless fly only. The area open to angling will include Carruthers Brook, from the Rte 2 highway in Bloomfield upstream to a tributary entering from the North, a distance of approximately 1.5 km.
Morell River - Areas outlined in orange