About the Environmental Advisory Council
The Prince Edward Island Environmental Advisory Council advises the minister responsible for the environment on matters related to air, land and water resources: conservation, protection and sustainable development.
What are the terms of reference?
The Council's responsibilities are broadly described in the Environmental Protection Act. The following terms of reference were developed and approved by the Minister to better define the Environmental Advisory Council's mandate:
- to advise the Minister responsible for the environment on matters referred to council by the Minister or the public under the Environmental Protection Act,
- to report annually to the Minister on submissions received, research conducted, investigations undertaken and recommendations made under the Environmental Protection Act,
- to advise the Minister on environmental matters related to activities in relation to the Provincial Conservation Strategy,
- to make recommendations to the Minister on conservation or environmental improvement awards,
- to make recommendations to the Minister respecting opportunities for environmental improvement or protection programs or projects,
- to recommend to the Minister public education projects or programs,
- to make recommendations to the Minister respecting support for community, private and non-government programs and projects,
- to advise the Minister on legislative proposals as they relate to environmental protection and enhancement,
- to advise the Minister on such matters as she may direct, and
- to perform such functions as may be provided by regulations under subsection 4(2)(b) of the Environmental Protection Act.
Who are the council members?
|Dean Stewart, Chair||Darlene Moore, Vice-Chair|
|Lokesh Garg||Arthur Smith|
|Wayne Gallant||Irene Dawson|
|Nick Webb||Ron Maynard|
|Jim Jenkins||Paul Gallant|
How can I apply?
If you would like to serve as a member of a provincial government agency, board, or commission (ABC) you can apply online through Engage PEI.
How do I contact the PEI Environmental Advisory Council?