About the Environmental Advisory Council
The Prince Edward Island Environmental Advisory Council advises the minister responsible for the environment on matters related to air, land and water resources: conservation, protection and sustainable development.
Who is the minister responsible for the Council?
The minister responsible is the Minister of Communities, Land and Environment.
What are the terms of reference?
The Council's responsibilities are broadly described in the Environmental Protection Act. The following terms of reference were developed and approved by the Minister to better define the Environmental Advisory Council's mandate:
- to advise the Minister responsible for the environment on matters referred to council by the Minister or the public under the Environmental Protection Act,
- to report annually to the Minister on submissions received, research conducted, investigations undertaken and recommendations made under the Environmental Protection Act,
- to advise the Minister on environmental matters related to activities in relation to the Provincial Conservation Strategy,
- to make recommendations to the Minister on conservation or environmental improvement awards,
- to make recommendations to the Minister respecting opportunities for environmental improvement or protection programs or projects,
- to recommend to the Minister public education projects or programs,
- to make recommendations to the Minister respecting support for community, private and non-government programs and projects,
- to advise the Minister on legislative proposals as they relate to environmental protection and enhancement,
- to advise the Minister on such matters as she may direct, and
- to perform such functions as may be provided by regulations under subsection 4(2)(b) of the Environmental Protection Act.
Who serves on the Council?
Islanders who serve on the Environmental Advisory Council are appointed from among individuals who apply through Engage PEI.
Who are the council members?
- Mike Gilbertson, Chair
- Arthur Smith, Vice-Chair
- Patricia Bray
- Darlene Moore
- Ronald Maynard
- Jim Jenkins
- Connie Gaudet
- Steven Watts, P.Ag.
- Marcia Hooper
How can I apply?
If you would like to serve as a member of a provincial government agency, board, or commission (ABC) you can apply online through Engage PEI.
Presentations made to the Environmental Advisory Council
You can download presentations that were given to the Council in 2018 below:
- Climate Change (January 2019)
- Plastics - re-inventing & re-thinking society's "material workhorse" (June 2018)
- Contaminated Sites in PEI (May 2018)
- Climate Change Action Plan (April 2018)
- Anoxic Events in 2017 (February 2018)