Building and Development in PEI

Any new development including structures, additions, decks, porches, garages, storage or excavation in preparation for construction, require a Development Permit. However, currently, no Development Permit is required for interior remodelling for private use or for fences. 

If your property is located within a municipality with an official plan and bylaws, the municipality will process your planning-related applications.

Who issues a building & development permit?

A permit may be issued by a municipality or by the provincial government, depending on the location of the property.  

  • If the property is located in a municipality with an official plan and land use bylaws, the municipality will issue the permit.  To contact any PEI municipality, refer to the Municipal Directory.
  • When the property is outside a municipality or in a municipality with no official plan and land use bylaws, the provincial government will issue the permit in accordance with the provincial Planning Act.  Download and complete the permit application at Provincial Development (Building) Permits. 

How do I know if the municipality has an official plan?

To determine if a PEI municipality has an official plan, view the Municipal Boundaries Map

Where do I find information regarding setbacks?

To determine what the minimum requirements are for setbacks, please refer to the Development (Building)/ Sewage Disposal Systems Setbacks Guide.

How do I find out if a permit has been approved?

To find the status of municipal or provincial development permits or other planning decisions such as a subdivision approval or zoning bylaw amendment, search PEI Planning Decisions

Can I appeal a permit once it is approved?

Once a building or development permit is approved, interested parties have 21 days to appeal to the Island Regulatory and Appeals Commission (IRAC). 
To determine your right to appeal, please review Section 28 of the PEI Planning Act.

Published date: 
April 2, 2019
Agriculture and Land

General Inquiries

Provincial Planning
J. Elmer Blanchard Building
31 Gordon Drive
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8

Phone: 902-368-5590
Fax: 902-368-5526