Changing the Boundaries or Status of a Municipality

Municipalities are able to submit an application to the Minister of the Department of Communities, Land and Environment to have their boundaries or municipal status changed. Boundary changes include annexations, amalgamations, dissolution, boundary line correction/adjustments, and reductions. Changing a municipality's status means a changing what the municipality is incorporated as (such as a municipality incorporated as a 'community' applying to become a 'town').

It is strongly recommended that a council contemplating making application for significant changes to boundaries or status hold a public meeting to seek comments from residents and property owners regarding the proposal prior to giving consideration to a resolution seeking a boundary or status change for a municipality. Minutes of the public meeting should be kept and submitted with any application.  

Is the process the same for all boundary or status changes?

While the process for most boundary and status changes are similar, the annexation process is more involved. Because of its nature, the process for a municipality to annex land involves a review of the application by the Island Regulatory and Appeals Commission (IRAC). IRAC is required to hold a public hearing in the area affected by the annexation and provides a recommendation to the Minister regarding the annexation.

For details on the application requirements, see the documents below:

Who approves a municipality's applications to change their boundary or status?

In all cases, the Lieutenant Governor in Council makes the final decision on whether a municipality's boundary or status change application is approved.

Are there any current municipal proposals for boundary or status change?

The Town of Borden-Carleton is considering whether to apply to the Minister of Communities, Land and Environment to annex  the areas served by the Borden-Carleton Fire Department through the Borden-Carleton Fire District, and the portion of the unincorporated community of Albany not currently served by the Borden-Carleton Fire District.

View the Town of Borden-Carleton’s information package.   

Who do I contact for more information?

Contact the Town of Borden-Carleton for more information or to share your comments.

Phone: (902)437-2225


Town of Borden-Carleton webpage:



Published date: 
September 28, 2017
Communities, Land and Environment department logo

General Inquiries

Department of Communities, Land and Environment
4th Floor, Jones Building
11 Kent Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8

Phone: (902) 368-5044
Toll-free: 1-866-368-5044
Fax: (902) 368-5830