Climate Change Action Plan 2018-2023
The Government of Prince Edward Island has developed a five-year Climate Change Action Plan that provides a framework for both adapting to changing climate as well as reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Prince Edward Island’s residential, commercial, and industrial infrastructure located on the coast will become increasingly vulnerable to sea level rise and storm activity. We must prepare for these coming changes.
Five Action Areas
- Adapting to Climate Change
- Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions
- Carbon Sequestration
- Education and Capacity Building
- Research and Knowledge Building
- Government will take proactive measures to reduce Prince Edward Island’s vulnerability to the impacts of climate change, and to take advantage of new opportunities that contribute to a prosperous and resilient economy.
- Government, together with residents, businesses, and industries, will reduce provincial greenhouse gas emissions by 30 per cent below 2005 levels by 2030.
Government will work to protect and enhance the ecosystem, while encouraging practices that increase carbon sequestration.
Government will help Islanders understand and take responsibility for the environmental impacts of their actions by developing education programs and integrating climate change principles into learning environments.
Government will work with Indigenous, provincial, and regional partners to advance climate change research and knowledge in Prince Edward Island.
The action plan outlines these commitments as well as new actions for each.
Climate Change Secretariat
Phone: (902) 368-5028