Information for New Councillors and Staff

The Municipal Affairs branch oversees and provides assistance to municipalities in areas such as formation, elections, amalgamation, finance, boundary changes, and the adoption of official plans and land use and subdivision bylaws. Our Local Government Resource Handbook 3rd Edition (2013) was prepared as a resource for municipal governments. It is a great place to start learning about the responsibilities of being a new councillor or municipal staff member.

The guide provides an overview of what you may encounter as a municipal councillor or staff member, such as the roles and responsibilities of council and administration, conflict of interest, and public participation. It also provides you with helpful tips for making positive and lasting contributions to your municipality. 

If your municipality has an official plan, land use bylaw, or administrative bylaws, or is thinking of exploring how the municipality can best plan for the future, the following documents will also be of interest:

Published date: 
April 6, 2017
Communities, Land and Environment department logo

General Inquiries

Municipal Affairs and Provincial Planning
2nd Floor, Aubin-Arsenault Building
3 Brighton Road
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8

Phone: (902) 620-3558
Fax: (902) 569-7545