Mechanical Contractor's License

When do I need a Mechanical Contractor's License?

Anyone who installs, or performs alterations or repairs to, a boiler or pressure vessel that falls under the authority of the Boiler and Pressure Vessels Act and regulations, must hold a valid Mechanical Contractor's License.

How do I obtain a Mechanical Contractor's License?

You must complete an application and forward it with the appropriate fee to the department.

Are there additional requirements?

There may be.  You should contact a staff member with the department to discuss additional requirements that may apply to you.

What is the fee?

The cost of a Mechanical Contractor's License is $200.00 per year to a maximum of $600.00  There is no HST.

Make cheques payable to the Minister of Finance.

For how long is a Mechanical Contractor's License valid?

Licenses are valid for a maximum of three years. ALL licenses expire on December 31, 2016.

How long will it take to obtain a Mechanical Contractor's License?

You should allow two weeks to process your application.

Who can I contact for more information?


Steve Townsend (Chief Officer Boiler, Pressure Vessel, LP Gas, Plumbing and Home Heat Tank)
J. Elmer Blanchard Building
31 Gordon Drive
Charlottetown, PE  C1A 6B8
Telephone: (902) 368-5567
Fax: (902) 368-5526
Email: sends e-mail)


Brian Trainor (Inspector, Plumbing, Boiler and Pressure Vessel)
Access PEI Summerside
120 Heather Moyse Drive
Summerside, PE  C1N 5Y8
Telephone: (902) 888-8000
Fax: (902) 888-8023
Email: sends e-mail)

Published date: 
June 15, 2016
Communities, Land and Environment department logo

General Inquiries

Department of Communities, Land and Environment
4th Floor, Jones Building
11 Kent Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8

Phone: 1-866-368-5044
Fax: (902) 368-5830