What is municipal restructuring?
- See an overview of the Municipal Restructuring Process
- View the Municipal Restructuring Fact Sheet for more detailed information (being developed)
- For more information, see the Municipal Government Act and the Principles, Standards and Criteria Regulations.
How does the municipal restructuring process start?
- Download the proposal form for municipal restructuring
If the proposal is to restructure a rural municipality that does not result in a municipality that meets the criteria in the MGA for a city or a town, the proposal must be submitted to the Minister for approval before being filed with IRAC.
What must a proposal to restructure include?
- A statement that the proposal is to restructure the municipality
- The reason for the proposal
- The names of the municipalities and unincorporated areas included in the restructuring
- Estimated population and total property assessment, a map with boundaries, the class of municipality (city, town or rural municipality), the name of the proposed municipality, services that will be provided, and existing or proposed assets
- The information required in the Principles, Standards and Criteria Regulations for a specific restructuring situation (the details of amalgamation, annexation, or combined annexation and amalgamation).
How will I know if there is municipal restructuring proposed close to where I live?
IRAC must notify adjoining municipalities, and municipalities and First Nations Bands that may be affected by the restructuring. The Federation of PEI Municipalities (FPEIM) must also be notified.
How can I voice my opinions about a restructuring proposal?
How are municipal restructuring decisions made?
- Restructure the boundaries as proposed or with changes, or
- Deny the restructuring as proposed
Recent municipal restructuring
On December 15, 2017 the Community of Winsloe South and the Community of Brackley amalgamated to become one municipality. The municipality is called the Rural Municipality of Brackley. The councils of the two municipalities selected an interim council to serve until the next municipal election.