Outdoor Burning and Wildfire Information

Tips for Safe Outdoor Burning

  • Check the Fire Weather Index and local wind speeds. 
  • Keep fires small and if possible, burn in a contained fire pit or an approved outdoor burning structure
  • Have adequate water and fire suppression tools on hand (shovels, rakes, brooms, etc.)
  • Have enough people on hand to control your fire
  • Keep a charged phone nearby to call 911 if the fire escapes
  • Continuously patrol the burn area and once you are finished for the day, ensure the fire is completely out

Call 911 to report a wildfire on PEI

Uncontrolled wild fires can be very destructive to homes, cottages, forests, farm buildings, crops, livestock and people. Most wildfires in PEI result from burning old grasses, during land clearing operations or from equipment sparks. Call 911 to report any wildfires in your area

Fire Weather Index

The Fire Weather Index contains detailed information on current burning conditions in the Island's three fire regions and is updated regularly during fire season.

In PEI, fire season runs from March 15th to  December 1st each year. During this period, you must have a valid burning permit for all outdoor fires.

General Burning Permit information

Burning permits are required for all outdoor burning in PEI from March 15th to November 30th each year. These permits are available free of charge at any Forests, Fish and Wildlife Division office, Monday to Friday during normal working hours. 

Are Burning Permits issued in all Island communities?

No. Many Island municipalities also have their own fire regulations and Burning Permits are not issued for those areas. If you want to burn or dispose of brush or leaves in any of the communities listed below, you must contact the city or municipal government office.

Industrial burning permits

Special Industrial Burning Permits are available to land owners and businesses who use fire for agricultural or land management purposes. For information on the requirements and standards required to obtain an Industrial Burning Permit call (902) 368-4700. 

Permissible materials

A Burning Permit only allows you to burn unprocessed woody materials such as:

  • Grasses
  • Leaves
  • Branches
  • Other woody debris

Other materials cannot be burned under this permit. For information on proper handling and disposal of other materials, please call the Environment Division at (902) 368-5000.  

Campfires and cooking fires

Camp fires are permitted unless there is a fire ban.  Burning permits are not required for small campfires used for cooking or necessary warmth provided they are built in properly constructed campfire sites and the person starting the fire has the permission of the landowner.

In all cases, you are liable for any and all damages resulting from the fire and you must take proper precautions to ensure it does not escape.

You should have water and fire fighting tools close to the campfire site and you must completely extinguish the campfire when you are finished.

Community contact information for outdoor burning inquiries

  • Souris (902) 987-2157
  • Georgetown (902) 652-2924
  • Montague (902) 838-2528
  • Stratford (902) 569-1995
  • Charlottetown (902) 566-5548
  • Cornwall (902) 566-2354
  • Kensington (902) 836-3781
  • Summerside (902) 432-1230
  • Miscouche (902) 436-4962
  • Alberton (902) 853-2720
Published date: 
August 7, 2017
Communities, Land and Environment department logo

General Inquiries

Forests, Fish and Wildlife Division
J. Frank Gaudet Tree Nursery
183 Upton Road
Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8

Phone: (902) 368-6450
Fax: (902) 368-4713

Like us on Facebook