Permit to Alter a Sand Dune

When do I need a Permit to Alter a Sand Dune?

Anyone who wishes to conduct work on, or near, a sand dune (e.g., build a staircase or boardwalk, undertake shoreline stabilization, etc.) must obtain a Permit to Alter a Sand Dune.

How can I get a Permit to Alter a Sand Dune?

You must complete a Watercourse, Wetland and Buffer Zone Activity Permit application form and forward it, together with the required fee, to the department.

Are there additional requirements?

Yes.  You must include with your application a description of the proposed work, as well as a sketch or drawing.

What is the cost of a Permit to Alter a Sand Dune?

The fee varies from $50.00 to $100.00, depending upon the nature of the proposed work.  There is no HST.

Make cheques payable to the Minister of Finance.

For how long is a Permit to Alter a Sand Dune valid?

Permits are specific to the work for which they are requested.  Typically, all permits expire on December 31st of the year in which they are issued.

How long will it take to get a Permit to Alter a Sand Dune?

You should allow 4 weeks to process your application.

Who can I contact for more information?

Areas west of Hunter River:

Kevin Arsenault (Watercourse and Wetland Alteration Supervisor)
Communities, Land and Environment

Western Forest District Office
Telephone: (902) 854-7260
Fax: (902) 854-7448
Email: sends e-mail)

Hunter River and east:

Jason Affleck (Watercourse and Wetland Alteration Technician)
4th Floor, Jones Building
11 Kent Street
Charlottetown, PEI
Telephone:  (902) 569-0589
Fax: (902) 368-5830
Email: sends e-mail)

Published date: 
July 11, 2016
Communities, Land and Environment department logo

General Inquiries

Department of Communities, Land and Environment
4th Floor, Jones Building
11 Kent Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8

Phone: 902-368-5044
Toll-free: 1-866-368-5044
Fax: 902-368-5830