Plumbing Permit

When do I need a Plumbing Permit?

A Plumbing Permit is required to install, extend, alter or repair a plumbing system or connect a system to a building sewer. A permit is not required to unplug a stoppage, or to replace a faucet, plumbing fixture, or water heater where no change to the piping is required. 

How can I obtain a Plumbing Permit?

You must contact one of the department staff members listed below. 

Are there additional requirements?

Yes. To obtain a plumbing permit you must be the holder of a valid Plumbing Contractor's License issued by the department of Communities, Land and Environment.

How much does a Plumbing Permit cost?

The fee amount for a plumbing permit depends on the scope of work required. Details can be found in A Code for Plumbing Services Regulations


Who can I contact for more information?


Steve Townsend (Chief Officer Boiler, Pressure Vessel, LP Gas, Plumbing and Home Heat Tank)
J. Elmer Blanchard Building
31 Gordon Drive
Charlottetown, PE  C1A 6B8
Telephone: (902) 368-5567
Fax: (902) 368-5526


Brian Trainor (Inspector, Plumbing, Boiler and Pressure Vessel)
Access PEI Summerside
120 Heather Moyse Drive
Summerside, PE  C1N 5Y8
Telephone: (902) 888-8000
Fax: (902) 888-8023

Published date: 
June 15, 2016
Communities, Land and Environment department logo

General Inquiries

Department of Communities, Land and Environment
4th Floor, Jones Building
11 Kent Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8

Phone: 1-866-368-5044
Fax: (902) 368-5830