Power Engineer License

When do I need a Power Engineer License?

Anyone who operates a power heating or refridgeration plant, which requires operators as outlined in the Power Engineers Act and regulations, must hold a Power Engineers License of the appropriate class.  Information on license classes is available here.

How can I obtain a Power Engineer License?

You must complete an application and forward it with the appropriate fee to the department.

Are there additional requirements?

If you wish to obtain a Class 3 or a Class 4 license, then you must have successfully completed a recognized power engineering training course.  Applicants should contact department staff prior to taking any training, as not all power engineering courses are recognized. 

What is the fee?

The cost of a Power Engineer License is $40.00 per year, to a maximum of $200.00  There is no HST.  There is also a $40.00 fee per exam. Make cheques payable to the Minister of Finance.

For how long is a Power Engineer License valid?

Licenses are valid for a maximum of five years.  ALL licenses expire on December 31, 2019.

How long will it take to get a Power Engineer License?

After the completion of necessary training, you should allow four weeks to process your application.

Who can I contact for more information?

Steve Townsend (Chief Officer Boiler, Pressure Vessel, LP Gas, Plumbing and Home Heat Tank)

J. Elmer Blanchard Building
31 Gordon Drive
Charlottetown, PE  C1A 6B8
Telephone: (902) 368-5567
Fax: (902) 368-5526
Email: srtownsend@gov.pe.ca(link sends e-mail)


Published date: 
June 15, 2016
Communities, Land and Environment department logo

General Inquiries

Department of Communities, Land and Environment
4th Floor, Jones Building
11 Kent Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8

Phone: 1-866-368-5044
Fax: (902) 368-5830