Water Quality Report Cards by Watershed
The Department of Communities, Land and Environment has developed a scoring system to report on water quality in watersheds, so that Islanders can see the general health of water and compare it to that of other PEI watersheds.
What is being reported on?
Each watershed is scored on:
- The groundwater nitrate concentration.
- The number of anoxic events occurring in the last five years.
- The number of fish kills occurring in the last ten years.
- The general frequency of siltation events.
- The general frequency of other issues such as algae blooms and elevated water temperatures.
- Maps showing the location and boundaries of each watershed.
- Watershed size and land use statistics.
- Overview of the status of water quality in the watershed.
What resources are available?
Several documents are available for download under resources:
- PEI Water Quality Report Cards
- Methodology for the PEI Water Quality Score (PEI WQS).
- Detailed Scoring Data.
The PEI Water Quality Report Cards will be updated on an annual basis.