Home Education

Parents may home educate their children using a home education program or the public education system’s curriculum. 

What do I need to do to home educate my child?

You must notify the Department of Education and Lifelong Learning that you intend to home educate your child before the school year starts. 

Can I use provincial curriculum when home educating my child?

Yes, you can access curriculum books by filling out a Request for Home Education Learning Resources [733 kb] form.  There is a fee of $50 per child, which is refunded when the books are returned.

Is there a fee to home school my child?

No, however, there is a $50 fee per child if you decide to use provincial curriculum, but this is refunded when the books are returned.

Can my home educated child get a PEI high school diploma?

Home educated students do not receive high school diplomas unless they enter the public school system and graduate with the required number of credits. The school board will determine your child’s grade level if they return to the public school system.

Who can I contact for more information?

Chloe Gallant
Education and Lifelong Learning
Holman Centre
250 Water Street, Suite 101
Summerside, PE  C1N 1B6
Telephone: 902-438-4848
Fax: 902-438-4884
Email: homeeducation@gov.pe.ca


Published date: 
May 30, 2022
Education and Early Years

General Inquiries

Department of Education and Early Years
Holman Centre
Suite 101, 250 Water Street
Summerside, PE C1N 1B6

Phone: 902-438-4130
Fax: 902-438-4062