Accessible Library Services
The PEI Public Library Service offers a wide variety of materials in alternative formats for individuals with print disabilities.
What is a print disability?
A print disability is a learning, physical or visual disability that prevents a person from reading conventional print.
A print disability can include a:
- Learning disability: An impairment relating to comprehension
- Physical disability: The inability to hold or manipulate a book
- Visual disability: Severe or total impairment of sight or the inability to focus or move one’s eyes
What is CELA and what do they offer?
CELA stands for the Centre for Equitable Library Access and it is a national not-for-profit organization made up of public libraries across Canada.
By partnering with CELA, the PEI Public Library Service is able to access CELA's collection of materials in alternative formats for Islanders with print disabilities.
What library services are available for print disabled Islanders?
Through the library's partnership with CELA, Islanders can access their collection of accessible materials online or physically through special audiobook CDs called DAISYs. DAISYs are available at the Confederation Centre Public Library in Charlottetown and a mail-out DAISY CD service is offered through Library Headquarters - which mails DAISYs directly to the homes of participants for free.
The library also loans out DAISY players for the public to borrow.
How do I access these services?
There are a variety of ways to register for the library's accessible services:
- Complete and submit an online application form
- Call Library Headquarters at (902) 961-7320
- If you already have a PEI Public Library Card and only want to access digital content, register through CELA's website
- If you are a teacher or educator and you wish to access digital content for your students, register through CELA's Educator Access Program
- If you are a professional and you wish to access digital content for your clients, register through CELA's Client Access Support Program