Apply for PEI International Student Program (PEIISP)
The PEI education year begins in September and ends in June. High School (Grades 10-12) have two terms: September to January and February to June.
- September start (all grade levels): Deadline for complete application with payment before May 31st
- February start (all grade levels): Deadline for complete application with payment before November 30th
Families who have arrived or will arrive after the application deadlines are asked to contact the Prince Edward Island International Student Office. firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on custodianship, please refer to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
- Start the easy online application process
- Prepare the supporting documents:
- Physician's Statement of Health
- Participation Terms form (signed by applicant and legal guardian)
- General Release/Waiver form (signed by applicant and legal guardian)
- Certified school transcripts translated into English (from the last two years)
- A copy of the passport with photo
- Referral form
- Custodianship documents (if required)
- Media Release Form (signed by applicant and legal guardian)
- Optional: Provide documentation of international English testing/training completed (e.g., TOEFL, IELTS)
- Pay the application fee:
- Include the non-refundable application fee of $275 CDN
- Notice of Acceptance
- You will be notified within two weeks of receipt of a full application package if the application has been accepted (please note a Skype interview may be requested before acceptance).
- Successful applicants will receive a Conditional Letter of Acceptance and an invoice will be issued via True North for payment of full tuition, health insurance and other applicable fees.
- The Letter of Acceptance will be issued once all fees have been paid in full.
- Pre-Arrival Learning
- Complete the Vital English Pre-arrival English Learning and Assessment. The invitation will be sent to your email account directly from Vital English or from your agent. If you don’t receive it, please contact PEIISP staff.
- The PEIISP is recommending its international students to complete Vital English’s Pre-Arrival Learning module to better prepare students for the cultural differences they might encounter while studying in Canada and support decisions regarding course selection and EAL supports.
- Study Permit
- Once the Letter of Acceptance has been received, the student must apply for a Canadian study permit at the nearest Canadian embassy/consulate.
- Intake Meeting
- Once your flight details are finalized, please contact the PEIISP at 902-620-3739 to schedule your intake meeting for school registration. Students requiring EAL/FAL support or who plan to graduate from a PEI high school should complete a language proficiency assessment to determine placement and services.
The student’s school placement is based on the address where the student is going to live on PEI. Proof of address is required before the student is enrolled in a school.
Please allow a minimum of 3 weeks once the complete application form, all required documentation and fee payments have been received.
All student applicants must be in good standing at their current school. Applicants must also be able to show history of good attendance and work habits. Students cannot stay in the high school program after the end of the school year in which they turn 20.
Students wishing to graduate must meet our graduation requirements.
Students applying for Grade 12 should know the following:
To be successful, you need to have a high level of English proficiency in all areas (reading, writing, speaking, listening).
If you are wanting to graduate with a PEI Graduation Diploma, it will usually take more than one year of study. Experience shows it takes a minimum of two years and sometimes longer. Depending on your age, you might not be able to complete requirements for graduation as students cannot stay in the high school program after the end of the school year in which they turn 20.
Health insurance is mandatory. The PEIISP is pleased to partner with GuardMe to provide our international students with comprehensive health insurance. For more information on our insurance provider, please visit www.guard.me/peiisp.