Interministerial Women's Secretariat Grant
The Interministerial Women's Secretariat provides assistance to the provincial government to promote the legal, health, social and economic equality of women. The Secretariat is mandated to partner with the community on projects to promote the status of women.
Further, the Interministerial Women’s Secretariat works in partnership with Island women’s organizations to develop projects, programs and services that benefit women from Prince Edward Island.
Funding Program Objectives
The objective of the Interministerial Women’s Secretariat grant is to provide project funding to:
- Support organizations that provide direct services and programs for the benefit of women and girls in Prince Edward Island;
- Support projects that enhance awareness, education and social action on women’s legal, health, social and economic equality;
- Support the capacity of women’s organizations that promote women’s equality through advocacy, research and policy development.
Eligibility and Assessment
Is my organization eligible for funding?
Incorporated non-profit organizations from Prince Edward Island whose mandates align with the promotion of the legal, health, social and economic equality of women are eligible for funding. Individual projects (i.e., projects that are forwarded by individuals not affiliated with a non-profit organization) are not eligible.
Organizations must have capacity to enter into a legal agreement to receive funding (i.e., a provincial incorporation number). Organizations with approved projects will be required to sign a project contract. To see the requirements of the contract, please click here.
Eligibility is based on the proposal’s ability to communicate how one or more of the funding program objectives (listed above) are addressed. The proposal must demonstrate how women are involved in all aspects of the project, such as planning and implementation. As these are one-time only grants, projects that require multi-year funding agreements will not be considered. All groups must commit to signing a contract and adhering to the requirements of the contract (insurance, reporting, other).
What expenses are eligible for funding?
All expenditures need to clearly demonstrate how they are related to the project. Eligible expenditures include:
- Salaries and benefits;
- Professional fees related to the project (e.g. facilitator, bookkeeping);
- Administrative costs associated with the project (up to 15% of total budget);
- Facility rental and utilities;
- Office equipment;
- Materials and supplies;
- Publicity and promotion;
- Domestic travel costs (international travel not covered);
How will applications be assessed?
The Interministerial Women's Secretariat grant applications will be assessed and graded on a point system based on the applicant’s ability to communicate how it meets the objectives of the funding program as expressed by the following criteria:
1. Organization Vision (30 points)
● Do the organization’s principles, objectives and activities support legal, health, social and economic equality for women?
● Do women play a significant part in decision making for the organization?
● Is there organizational capacity and infrastructure in place and does the organization have a track record to justify and support this initiative?
2. Interministerial Women’s Secretariat Funding Objectives (20 points)
How clearly does the proposal demonstrate that it meets one or more of the Interministerial Women's Secretariat's funding program objectives:
● to support organizations that provide direct services and programs for the benefit of women in Prince Edward Island;
● to support projects that enhance awareness, education and social action on women’s legal, health, social and economic equality;
● to support the capacity of Prince Edward Island women’s organizations that promote women’s equality through advocacy, research and policy development.
3. Project Description and Budget (50 points)
● Does the application provide a strong rationale as to why the work is needed?
● Does the project/organization have community support?
● Does the project/organization show creative ways to respond to community needs?
● Is the project likely to succeed? Does it show realistic timelines and achievable goals?
● Is the project budget clear? Is the submitted budget appropriate?
* Please note that you must submit a minimum of one letter of support for your project from stakeholders and/or project partners in order to be considered for funding.
How do I apply for this grant?
Applications/proposals must be received by 4:00 pm on February 10, 2023. Any applications/proposals received after this time will not be accepted.
Applications/proposals must meet the eligibility requirements (see ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS above). Applications/proposals that do not meet the eligibility requirements will be immediately disqualified. Applications will be assessed and graded on a point system based on the applicant’s ability to communicate how it meets the objectives of the funding program as expressed by the assessment criteria. A review committee will assess all applications. Successful applicants will be notified by International Women’s Day (March 8, 2023).
Your funding application must include:
● application form (including all necessary attachments describing organizational and project information)
● detailed budget that clearly outlines all expenses and revenues for the project (this would include other sources of funding and/or in-kind support).
PLEASE SUBMIT THREE (3) HARD COPIES AND ONE (1) ELECTRONIC COPY OF YOUR PROPOSAL TO:
Interministerial Women’s Secretariat
3rd Floor Sullivan Building
16 Fitzroy St, Charlottetown
Interministerial Women’s Secretariat
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
*Please call ahead (902-368-6494) to make arrangements for drop-off submissions.
*Please note: all copies must be received by 4:00 pm on February 10, 2023, so please ensure your copies are posted with this in mind.
ELECTRONIC COPY: email@example.com
What is the deadline to apply?
Both hard copy and e-copy of applications/proposals must be received by 4:00 pm on February 10, 2023. Any applications/proposals received after this time will not be accepted.
When will successful applicants be notified?
Successful applicants will be notified by International Women's Day - March 8, 2023.
Applicants are encouraged to contact the Interministerial Women’s Secretariat with any questions regarding the application process: Phone: (902) 368-6494.
Disclaimer: A proposal submission does not guarantee funding. The number of projects that can be supported and the degree of support a project receives will be determined by the program budget. Not all qualified applications are guaranteed to receive funding. These are one-time only grants. As determined by the review committee, approved funding amounts may be different from proposal amounts.