Contractor (Earth-mover) Licensing Program

Do I have to complete the Contractor Licensing Program if I am an earth-moving contractor?

No. The Contractor Licensing Program is voluntary.

Is there a benefit if I complete the Contractor Licensing Program?

Yes. Earth-moving contractors who complete the Contractor Licensing Program are eligible to apply for an Activity Business License for their company and an Activity Certificate for each of their employees that have completed training. Companies that hold these are able to by-pass the regular process of obtaining a Watercourse, Wetland and Buffer Zone Activity Permit when they wish to do the following work:

  • shoreline stabilization
  • landscaping in a buffer zone
  • operation of machinery on a beach or shoreline, and 
  • minor bridge repairs

The contractor must, however, register each project with the department. Work may proceed once the department provides an acknowledgement (usually via email) that the registration form has been received. Typically, this acknowledgement is provided within 24 hours.

You can review the Construction Standards for Activity in Watercourses and Wetlands to learn more about this program.

Landowners using a licensed contractor (see below) do not have to submit an application for a Watercourse, Wetland and Buffer Zone Activity Permit.

How can I take the Contractor Licensing Program?

You must register with the department to take a one day training course. You must also complete a written exam. A pass mark of 80 per cent is required.  When you have successfully completed the course and exam, you must apply for an Activity Business License and Activity Certificate(s).

Training courses are offered every four years. The last training course was February 2020 but if anyone is interested in the training, contractors can pick up a Contractor Licensing Program Instructional Guide at the 4th Floor Jones and arrange to challenge the exam. Contact department staff for additional detail.

What is the cost?

There is no fee to take the training course or complete an exam.

The cost of an Activity Business License is $200.  There is no HST.

The cost of an Activity Certificate is $200.  There is no HST.

Make cheques payable to the PEI Minister of Finance.

How long are Activity Business Licenses and Activity Certificates valid?

Activity Business Licenses and Activity Certificates are valid for a maximum of two years from the date of the training course.

How long will it take to get an Activity Business License or Activity Certificate?

After you have successfully completed a training course and exam, you should allow three weeks to process your application.

Who can I contact for more information?

Laurie Cameron, Administrative Assistant 
Telephone:  (902) 368-5700


Published date: 
March 13, 2020
Environment, Energy and Climate Action

General Inquiries

Department of Environment, Energy and Climate Action
4th Floor, Jones Building
11 Kent Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8

Phone: 902-368-5044
Toll-free: 1-866-368-5044
Fax: 902-368-5830
Report an Environmental Concern