Health PEI Board of Directors
Health PEI shall plan, organize and deliver health services and shall evaluate the health services that it provides and its delivery of those services.
What is the function of the board?
The board is responsible for the control and management of Health PEI and the planning, organization and delivery of health services in Prince Edward Island.
- Employing the Chief Executive Officer;
- Setting the strategic direction of Health PEI, in line with the priorities of government;
- Monitoring executive / organizational performance in relation to achievement of the strategic direction and compliance with board policies;
- Monitoring the budget and ensuring required financial and other reporting requirements are met;
- Monitoring the risks of the organization and the policies in place to manage those risks;
- Monitoring organizational quality and safety processes;
- Approval of medical staff by-laws and execution of board related duties outlined therein;
- Providing a framework for public and stakeholder engagement;
- Providing to the Minister plans and reports in line with policy and accountability requirements; and
- Organizing committees, activities, and general processes through which to conduct its business
Primary Role: Non-adjudicative
- Strategic Development
How many people are on the board?
The affairs of Health PEI shall be controlled and managed by a Board of Directors consisting of the following seven members appointed by the Minister:
- Chair of the Community Health Engagement Committee (Western Region);
- Chair of the Community Health Engagement Committee (Eastern Region);
- Five members who shall:
- possess the skills, knowledge, experience and competencies determined by the Minister as necessary to ensure the effective governance of Health PEI; and
- be representative of various community perspectives.
What are the requirements of board members?
Board members represent a broad cross-section of skills, interests, experience and expertise. Nominees should all share a strong sense of commitment to achieving the provincial vision of healthy Islanders through an appropriate balance of prevention and care.
The nominees shall:
- Be nineteen (19) years of age as of the date of appointment;
- Have a strong commitment to improving the health system, to supporting the provincial health authority, and to improving the health of Islanders;
- Have the time to prepare for and be able to attend board meetings on a regular basis;
- Be able to comply with provincial conflict of interest legislation and guidelines.
- Selection of board members will also be based on competencies from a range of skills, knowledge and experience in such areas as:
- Communication, leadership & interpersonal skills
- Critical thinking & analytical skills
Knowledge and Experience
- Governance of public sector, private sector or not-for-profit boards;
- Government structures and processes;
- Health care administration, clinical, quality / risk management;
- Law, business, finance & accounting;
- Community development & engagement;
- Public affairs & communications;
- Education & training;
- Organizational development & human resources;
- Information technology;
- Small business or primary industry operations.
What are the nomination requirements?
Statutory Nomination Requirements
Board members are all public representatives of all areas of the province.
Will I get paid?
Board members will be compensated in accordance with the Province of Prince Edward Island Schedule of Honoraria rates for provincial boards, commissions, agencies and committees.
What is the time commitment of the board?
Attendance is required at approximately 8 to 10 full board meetings annually, with additional meetings scheduled as necessary.
The term of office of a director shall not exceed three years and directors may be re-appointed at the end of the director’s term, but shall not serve more than two consecutive terms.
How can I apply?
If you would like to serve as a member of a provincial government agency, board, or commission (ABC) you can apply online through Engage PEI.
Who can I contact?
16 Garfield Street
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Telephone: (902) 368-4637
Fax: (902) 368-6136