Island Waste Management Corporation
The Island Waste Management Corporation (IWMC) is a Crown Corporation created by an order of the Lieutenant Governor in Council dated May 25th, 1999, for the purpose of developing, implementing, and operating a waste management system to serve PEI.
What is the function of the organization?
The functions of the Corporation shall include:
- (a) overseeing the Waste Watch program on PEI;
- (b) investigating the logistics of transferring waste among current and future sites;
- (c) determining the annual fee to be charged for provision of a residential refuse collection system in the province;
- (d) operating weigh scales at waste sites and collecting tippage fees.
Primary Role: Adjudicative
- Strategic Development
How many people are in the organization?
The Corporation shall consist of nine persons appointed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council, including:
- (a) the Deputy Minister of Transportation, Infrastructure and Energy, the Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Fisheries, and the Deputy Minister of Finance; and
- (b) six members representing the public at large.
What are the requirements of organization members?
Work & Experience Requirements
A knowledge of waste management and treatment is recommended.
What are the nomination requirements?
Statutory Nomination Requirements
The Lieutenant Governor in Council shall appoint all members.
Will I get paid?
Chair - $200/diem and Members - $142/diem.
What is the time commitment of the organization?
Regular monthly meetings, set by Chairperson.
Members may be reappointed.
|Name||County||Term Start||Term End|
|Matthew McKenna, Chair||Queens County||Feb 25, 2023||Feb 25, 2025|
|Lindy McQuillan||Queens County||May 17, 2022||May 17, 2024|
|Cletus Dunn||Prince County||Feb 21, 2023||Feb 21, 2026|
|Wendy McNeill||Prince County||Feb 21, 2023||Feb 21, 2026|
|Paul MacDonald||Kings County||Feb 21, 2023||Feb 21, 2026|
|Reg Conohan||Kings County||Feb 25, 2023||Feb 25, 2025|
|Karen MacDonald, CEO||May 17, 2021||at pleasure|
|Deputy Minister of Finance||at pleasure||at pleasure|
|Deputy Minister Agriculture and Fisheries||at pleasure||at pleasure|
|Deputy Minister Transportation & Infrastructure||at pleasure||at pleasure|
How can I apply?
If you would like to serve as a member of a provincial government agency, board, or commission (ABC) you can apply online through Engage PEI.
Who can I contact?
For further information about the Island Waste Management Corporation, contact:
Karen MacDonald, CEO IWMC