PEI in the 20th Century
One of the most important contributors to life in Prince Edward Island in the 20th century was the growth of the tourism industry. The federal government established the national park in the 1930s and further developed the park in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Until the 1950s, tourism was limited because there was only one ferry crossing from PEI to the mainland. The addition of multiple ferries helped draw bigger crowds.
Once visitors stepped off the ferry, transportation was often limited. Roads were poor and the railway was slow. For several years after 1907, it was illegal to drive a car on Island roads. The PEI Tourist Association led the fight to have roadways opened to cars to make travel for tourists easier.
A few roads were paved in the north shore region in the late 1930s, but it wasn't until the late 1950s that paving was common.