Premier's Youth Council
Recognizing that young Islanders want to be engaged and involved in decisions that affect them, the Premier's Youth Council is a province-wide youth advisory body that will work to help focus policy and programs in a manner that best services the interests of young Islanders.
What is the function of the Premier's Youth Council?
The Premier's Youth Council will advise the provincial government on ways to enhance programs, policies, strategies and resources for youth.
Functions of the Council will include:
- Providing input and advice on issues relating and affecting young Islanders
- Advising departments on how to enhance existing youth-oriented programs, policies, strategies and resources
- Leading community engagement activities to infuse a broad range of youth voices into government decision-making
- Working closely with the Interdepartmental Youth Liaison Committee to address matters of interest and concerns of young Islanders
- Acting as a sounding board for departments during preliminary policy development
- Engaging youth in current and developing government processes, frameworks, and consultations; and
- Assisting in youth retention strategies.
What are the nomination requirements?
Members were selected based on the following criteria: individuals between the ages of 16 and 29 years; and a representation of diversity within the applications received, including geographical locations; gender; sexual orientations; socioeconomic backgrounds; ethnic backgrounds; education levels; various stages of life; and levels of work experience; and demonstration of a level of passion for creating better opportunities for young Islanders.
Will I get paid?
Members serve on a volunteer basis without remuneration, but are reimbursed for expenses incurred in serving on the Council.
What is the time commitment of the Council?
Membership terms will be two year terms with half the inaugural members appointed for a one year term to ensure only half the members turn over in any given year. At a minimum, members are expected to participate in four meetings a year. Additional time will be required to participate in various engagement activities; members should be prepared to volunteer an estimated 30 hours a year.
Who are the members?
The Premier's Youth Council is made up of 12-15 individuals who are:
- 16 to 29 years of age;
- passionate about creating better opportunities for young Islanders;
- active and involved in their community;
- committed to taking on a two-year term; and
- a voice that represents diversity in perspective and life experience.
|Name||County||Term Start||Term End|
|Sean MacPhee||Queens||16 October 2018||16 October 2020|
|Sarah Outram||Queens||16 October 2018||16 October 2020|
|Brooks Roche||Kings||16 October 2018||16 October 2020|
|Teresa Tu||Queens||16 October 2018||16 October 2020|
|Tayte Willows||Queens||16 October 2018||16 October 2020|
How can I apply?
If you would like to serve as a member of the Youth Council, you may apply online.
Youth Engagement Officer