Give input to Adoption Act Review
Adoption in Prince Edward Island is governed by the Adoption Act. Under the current legislation the identities of adopted children, birth parents and adoptive parents cannot be released without consent. Public attitudes about adoption are evolving and an increasing number of individuals have expressed interest in greater access to their own adoption information.
Give your input
Should the Adoption Act of PEI be amended to allow for open adoption records?
There are a number of options to provide input, as follows:
- attend a public meeting;
- send a written submission; and/or
- request a private meeting by calling Family and Human Services at (902) 368-5294.
Each session is scheduled from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.
- Thursday, February 22, Athena School, Summerside - Version française sera disponible.
- Monday, February 26, Spring Park School, Charlottetown
- Wednesday, February 28, Montague High School, Montague
- Thursday, March 1, Access PEI Souris (Boardroom)
- Monday March 12, Hernewood School (cafeteria), Woodstock
Please use these guiding questions to make a written submission:
- What would be the benefits of opening adoption records for adult adoptees, birth parents and adoptive parents?
- What would be the benefits of maintaining closed adoption records for adult adoptees, birth parents and adoptive parents?
- What would be the challenges of opening adoption records for adult adoptees, birth parents and adoptive parents?
- What would be the challenges of maintaining closed adoption records for adult adoptees, birth parents and adoptive parents?
- Should the adult adoptee or birth parent be able to protect their identity from being disclosed in certain circumstances? Please explain.
- Do you have suggestions for changes to the Adoption Act?
Send your submission by mail or e-mail:
Adoption Act Review Advisory Committee
c/o HR Atlantic
Brecken Building, 1 Harbourside Drive
Charlottetown, PE C1A 8R4
By phone: Call Family and Human Services at (902) 368-5294 to book a private consultation session
How will my feedback be used?
A report will be written with recommendations based on themes identified from public engagement. The current legislation under the Adoption Act balances the rights and privacy of all parties to an adoption, including the birth parents, the children and the adoptive parents. Government has to consider the rights of all three parties when reviewing potential changes to legislation.
What is the deadline for submissions?
Please use the guiding questions to make a written submission by March 31, 2018.