Dial 8-1-1 to access non-emergency health information. Dial 7-1-1 (TTY), if you are hearing impaired.
What health information will I get by calling 8-1-1?
A registered nurse is available 24 hours a day to answer your health questions over the phone and will:
- help you determine whether you require emergency or non-urgent medical attention;
- provide current, reliable information related to your health issue; and
- offer helpful guidance about health services available in the province.
A detailed directory of 8-1-1 health topics is also available online.
COVID-19 : When to call 811
Use a self-assessment tool to help determine whether you should be tested for COVID-19.
If you develop COVID-19 symptoms, including new onset fever or worsening cough, sore throat, rhinitis (runny nose, sneezing or congestion) or marked fatigue. You should call your family physician or nurse practitioner. If you do not have a family physician or nurse practitioner or are unable to reach them, call 8-1-1.
When should I call 9-1-1 instead of 8-1-1?
Call 9-1-1 or go to an emergency department when you have:
- discomfort or tightness in the chest;
- unusual shortness of breath;
- severe abdominal pain;
- prolonged and persistent headache or dizziness;
- an injury that may require stitches or involve a broken bone;
- a child who has prolonged diarrhea or vomiting; or
- a baby under six months of age with a fever of 38°C (100.4°F) or higher.
What if I’m unable to reach 811?
If you are unable to reach the 811 service by dialling 8-1-1 from your telephone or hand held device, please contact your telephone service provider.
In some cases, local telephone service providers may not be able to support 8-1-1 dialling. If this is the case, you may access the 811 service by calling 1-866-770-7724 from a telephone registered in Prince Edward Island only.
How can I apply to work for the 811 service?
If you are interested in a career as a telehealth nurse or telehealth associate, contact Emergency Medical Care Inc. directly.
Want to provide feedback on service received from 811?
If you would like to discuss or inquire about services received or provided by 811, please email email@example.com. Every comment becomes part of our quality improvement process. We will review, document and respond to every submission as quickly as possible.
How do I contact the 811 service?
811 Administration Office
PO Box 38203
Dartmouth, NS B3B 1X2
Telephone: 1 (902) 407-8230