Beginning Thursday, 4 March 2021, circuit breaker measures are in place until 8 am 14 March 2021. The measures will be reassessed throughout. These restrictions override all other existing sector specific public health guidance.

For the most up-to-date information visit

Frequently Asked Questions

Business, Individuals, Families and Workers

I live in an apartment building. Are there special precautions I should take? 

Yes, there are steps you should take to help maintain a safe living space for you and your neighbors. Learn more at Apartment Building Tenant Safety: COVID-19 FAQs.

I manage an apartment building. Are there special precautions I should take?

Yes, every manager plays an important role in preventing the spread of COVID-19 in multi-unit buildings. Learn more at Multi-unit Residential Buildings: COVID-19 FAQs.

Is there support available for PEI businesses?

There are a number of supports available for the self-employed, and small businesses who are affected by COVID-19. Visit for details.

I am an essential worker, do I have to self-isolate?

Yes, if you enter PEI from outside of Atlantic Canada, you must self-isolate for 14 days. Residents of Atlantic provinces (PEI, NB, NS,NL) have to check for any current rules and restrictions within the Atlantic travel bubble. If you will be in PEI for less than 14 days, you must self-isolate for the duration of your stay.

If you are an essential worker, you are allowed to go to work during the self-isolation period. This means you must travel directly to and from work everyday, without any stops. When you are not at work or travelling to or from, you must stay inside your dwelling or on your property. You must have a support person who can get groceries, medication or anything else you may need during the 14 day isolation period.  Learn more at work-isolation.

What is being done to protect health care workers on the front lines?

The health and safety of all health care workers is a priority of the COVID-19 Joint Response Team of the Chief Public Health Office and Health PEI. Staff are monitoring and responding to the issue.

I am a home care client. Will my home care worker still be visiting?

Health care is an essential service and will continue to be delivered while COVID-19 measures are in place. You may see some changes in the way we deliver our services to home care clients. Learn more at Home Care Clients COVID-19 FAQs.

How can parents and caregivers support children and youth during this time?

In the midst of a pandemic, many parents and caregivers are faced with questions regarding how best to support their child or youth. Read these guidelines for information about how to respond. You may find other helpful information at:

I am pregnant. Should I take special precautions and am I more at risk?

At this time, there have been published reports of over 40 pregnant women with this disease who have gone on to deliver their babies. We recommend that pregnant women follow the same practices as other adults to prevent infection: wash hands often with soap and water, avoid touching your face, cough or sneeze into your elbow rather than your hands, avoid others who are unwell, and stay home when you are sick. Find a summary of what we understand at this time about pregnancy and COVID-19.

What is being done to keep public servants and public buildings safe?

Provincial government offices have begun to reopen, however there may be new precautions for access, such as setting an appointment. VIsit re-openings for the most up-to-date details regarding government offices and services.

Government employees, who can work from home, are encouraged to do so.  Enhanced cleaning has been initiated in all government buildings to ensure the continued safety of staff and visitors.

I have a seasonal property on Prince Edward Island, can I come to open it?

Yes, you can. For information and the online application form, visit frequently asked questions about seasonal properties.

What are the guidelines for travellers outside Canada? 

For the most current information regarding travel outside of Canada, visit the Government of Canada for current resources and advisories.

I am a truck driver who travels between Canada and the US, what does this mean for me?

Find answers to your questions at COVID-19 Information for Truck Drivers.

Is information available for veterinarians and others about COVID-19 and animals?

Preliminary information is now posted about COVID-19 and animals. It will be updated as more information becomes available.

What support is available for Island workers?

COVID-19 has impacted the lives of many workers, including students who work part time. For details on supports, visit

What does recovered mean?

A case is deemed recovered if it has been 14 days since symptoms began, they do not have fever and their symptoms have markedly improved. If a case was asymptomatic we use the date of the test to start the 14 days.

Advice on Protective Measures

How do I practice physical distancing?

People must stay at least two (2) meters, or six (6) feet apart and avoid unnecessary close personal contact. Learn more about physical distancing.

How can I shop in-store safely?

The Retail Council of Canada has launched a campaign that explains the precautions and guidelines grocery and drugstore shoppers should follow during the COVID-19 pandemic to keep everyone safe. Visit

This video is also available in Chinese

Should I wear a mask?

It is strongly recommended that individuals wear non-medical masks in the community when indoors and physical distancing cannot be maintained. Non-medical masks and gloves are not a replacement for other public health measures.

Health-care workers will wear surgical masks, eye protection and gowns in order to protect themselves and other patients.

Is it save to handle cash and documents?

The risk of COVID-19 transmission by cash and documents is low and is expected to be similar to other common surfaces such as doorknobs and handrails. It is safe to handle cash and documents. However, it would be advisable to wash your hands immediately following handling. Hand Hygiene is also encouraged frequently, before eating, after using the washroom, and before touching your face.
Refusing cash could put an undue burden on people who depend on cash as a means of payment.

Is there a vaccine for COVID-19?

When a disease is new, there is no vaccine until one is developed. It can take many years (months) to develop a new vaccine.

Is there a treatment for COVID-19?

There is no specific treatment for COVID-19. Many of the symptoms are mild and can be managed at home. Most people recover from COVID-19 on their own. For people with more serious illness supportive care in or out of hospital may be needed.

Will this year's flu vaccine protect me from COVID-19?

No, the flu vaccine does not protect against COVID-19.

Self-Isolation for You and Your Family

What does self-isolation mean?

Self-isolation means you should voluntarily stay at home and not attend school or work. Learn more at self-isolation.

I have developed symptoms of COVID-19 and am being tested. How does this impact the members of my household? I have not had recent travel or contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 on PEI.

When any member of a household develops symptoms consistent with COVID-19, all members of the household must begin self-isolation and monitor for symptoms until the test results return. See the list of COVID-19 symptoms.

If someone in a family returns from travel how does that person self-isolate and what does the rest of family have to do?   

For more information on self-isolation, check out the self-isolation guide

Should I go to a cough and fever clinic if I have symptoms of COVID-19?

Cough and fever clinics are by appointment only. Use the online self-assessment tool to help determine whether you should be tested for COVID-19.

Primary care providers (e.g. a family doctor or nurse practitioner) will refer patients with coughs or fever to these clinics to be assessed for COVID-19. NOTE: Any child, two years-old or younger, with a cough or fever should be taken to the QEH or PCH emergency department.

If you do not have a family physician or nurse practitioner or are unable to reach your practitioner's office, call 8-1-1.

If you require assessment, a staff person will contact you with an appointment for the nearest assessment site.

When should I call 811?

Find out when you should call 811 about COVID-19.

Impacts on Services

Are child care centres open?

During Phase 2 of the Renew PEI Together plan, all unlicensed child care providers and licensed child care centres were allowed to re-open and operate under the guidance set by Chief Public Health Office.

Are long-term care homes open to visitors?

Long term care homes have eased restrictions to allow visiting with residents. For details on the guidelines, visit long-term care visitation

Are post-secondary schools and institutions closed?

Are mental health programs available?

If you or someone you know are having a strong reaction to the COVID-19 situation, you may need more help to cope with anxiety and other reactions. The Strongest Families and ICAN Adult Anxiety Programs are available to assist. Learn more about these mental health programs and others. Information is also available about Taking Care of Your Mental Health.

What does it mean now that PEI is under a state of public health emergency?

Under the Public Health Act, a state of public health emergency has been declared for the province effective immediately. While under a provincial state of public health emergency, the Chief Public Health Officer will be able to: 

  • order Islanders to refrain from attending any public gatherings;
  • align resources to where they are needed most; and
  • manage hospitals and other health care facilities and ambulance services.

Where can I find more information?

Find contact information related to COVID-19

Published date: 
December 7, 2020
Health and Wellness

General Inquiries

Department of Health and Wellness
4th Floor North, Shaw Building
105 Rochford Street
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8

Phone: 902-368-6414
Fax: 902-368-4121