COVID-19 Information for Truck Drivers
If you have a PEI Pass, follow the conditions of the PEI Pass, i.e., you are not required to self-isolate if you meet the conditions of the pass upon entry into the province. If entering PEI multiple times a week, you have the option of testing at least every 5 days instead of at every entry.
For individuals without a PEI Pass or for PEI Pass holders who do not meet the criteria to be exempt from self-isolation, all measures for PEI resident and non-PEI resident trucker drivers remain in place. Measures are subject to change.
PEI resident truck drivers (whether driving locally, nationally or internationally) do not have to self-isolate when in PEI after they receive their first negative test result if they are registered as rotational workers and are tested for COVID-19 at the required frequency.
In Order to be Exempt from Self-Isolation Restrictions, you must:
- Complete the online application for rotational worker status and receive a letter of approval from the Chief Public Health Office.
Once registered and you have received your letter:
- Must isolate following each return to the province until first negative test result is received, unless:
- If entering PEI more than once per week and are tested at least once every 5 days in PEI
- Be tested for COVID-19 on entry and on day 4 and 8 (depending how long you remain in the province testing frequency resets with each arrival) OR
If entering PEI more than once per week testing is required at least once every 5 days in PEI.
- If you are leaving PEI within 48 hours of your next scheduled test, you are required to get tested before leaving.
- After arriving in PEI:
- If you have not yet received your test result, you may continue with your truck driving provided you do not have any symptoms, do not enter any workplaces in PEI, and any outdoor interactions are physically distant.
- Prior to entering any workplaces in PEI, a first negative test result is required.
- If you have been tested upon arrival but have not yet received your negative test result, you may unload contactless.
If you do not get tested at the required frequency, you must remain in self-isolation for 8 days, subject to a negative test on day 8, or for the duration of your stay in PEI (if less than 8 days).
While in PEI:
- Keep a physical distance of 2m(6ft) from others when in public places
- Wear a mask when in public places
- Monitor for symptoms of COVID-19
- Follow all public health measures, including:
- Keeping your circle of contacts small
- Practicing good hand hygiene and cough etiquette
- Get tested for COVID-19 at the required frequency
If you are partially vaccinated or unvaccinated, please note a travel self isolation exemption for a truck driver registered as rotational worker is eligible for does NOT provide you with an exemption under the PEI Vax Pass program to enter certain activities and events.
Also, a PEI Rotational Worker registration does not exempt travellers from providing proof of vaccination on airplanes, trains, marine vessels or other conveyances as may be required by the federal government or private businesses. You are responsible for confirming your eligibility to travel with the transportation service provider. For information about the Government of Canada’s vaccination requirements in the transportation sector, see https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid.
- Information about how to get a COVID-19 vaccine is available here.
While Working You Must:
- Maintain physical distancing of two metres or six feet from individuals
- Wear a mask
- Practice hand hygiene
- Monitor your health for symptoms of COVID-19:
- New or worsening cough
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Sore throat
- Runny nose, sneezing, congestion
- Muscle/joint/body aches
- Feeling unwell/unusual tiredness
- Acute loss of sense of smell or taste
When Not at Work, You Must Self-Isolate, Including:
Not going to public areas, including grocery stores or other retail outlets
Restroom breaks and refueling your vehicle are permitted, provided you maintain physical distancing from others, wear a mask and pay at the pump where possible
- Arranging no-contact delivery medication and other essentials;
- Arranging no-contact delivery of food where at all possible; drive-through is permitted or fast-food service, provided you maintain physical distancing from others and wear a mask. Eat-in and dining room service is not permitted.
- Not attending public events, places of worship, restaurants/bars, arenas, and gyms;
- Not visiting or hosting people, including friends and family; and
- See also COVID-19 self-isolation.
If you are entering PEI more than once per week, you must be tested every 5 days in PEI.
If you are in PEI for greater than 24 hrs, and/or staying somewhere other than your truck, or planning to visit family, you must complete the PEI Self-Isolation Declaration.
The 20 Dickie Road testing clinic in Borden is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with rapid point of care testing. Testing for individuals with symptoms of COVID-19/PCR testing is available from 8am-4pm.
You can also schedule an appointment at a specific location by calling 1-855-354-4358.
Remember to bring your health card when you go to a testing clinic.
Access your COVID-19 test results online within 72 hours with your PEI Health Card (or the number provided to you at the testing site).