COVID-19 Information for Truck Drivers
PEI resident truck drivers (whether driving locally, nationally or internationally) do not have to self-isolate when in PEI after they receive their first negative test result if they are registered as rotational workers and are tested for COVID-19 at the required frequency.
In Order to be Exempt from Self-Isolation Restrictions, you must:
- Complete the online application for rotational worker status and receive a letter of approval from the Chief Public Health Office.
Once registered and approved:
- Must isolate following each return to the province until first negative test result is received, unless:
- If entering PEI more than once per week, have not travelled outside of the Atlantic Provinces in the previous 14 days, and are tested at least once every 5 days in PEI
- Be tested for COVID-19 on days 0-1, 4-6 and 9-11 (depending how long you remain in the province testing frequency resets with each arrival) OR
If entering PEI more than once per week, have not travelled outside of the Atlantic Provinces in the previous 14 days, testing is required at least once every 5 days in PEI.
- If you are leaving PEI within 48 hours of your next scheduled test, you are required to get tested before leaving.
- If arriving in PEI from a trip that included destinations outside of the Atlantic Provinces:
- If your next scheduled trip is less than 24 hours since your arrival to PEI and you are unable to be tested OR you have not yet received your test result, you may continue with your truck driving provided you do not have any symptoms, do not enter any workplaces in PEI, and any outdoor interactions are physically distant.
- Prior to entering any workplaces in PEI, a first negative test result is required.
- If you have been tested upon arrival but have not yet received your negative test result, you may unload contactless.
If you do not get tested at the required frequency, you must remain in self-isolation for 14 days or for the duration of your stay in PEI (if less than 14 days); you will also receive daily check-in calls during your isolation.
While in PEI:
- Keep a physical distance of 2m(6ft) from others when in public places
- Wear a non-medical mask when in public places
- Monitor for symptoms of COVID-19
- Follow all public health measures, including:
- Keeping your circle of contacts small
- Practicing good hand hygiene and cough etiquette
- Get tested for COVID-19 at the required frequency
- The list of registered PEI resident truck drivers will be used to contact truck drivers to offer immunization when available for this group. If you have registered as a commercial truck driver, you will be contacted directly by Health PEI to set up your vaccine appointment.
- If you haven't registered, do so now
- For greater clarity, with the April 19, 2021 announcement, non-resident commercial truck drivers travelling to PEI are not required to have a pre-departure test or to be tested in PEI provided they follow contactless loading and unloading procedures and other required measures outlined below while in PEI.
While Working You Must:
- Maintain physical distancing of two metres or six feet from individuals
- Wear a non-medical mask
- Practice hand hygiene
- Monitor your health for symptoms of COVID-19:
- New or worsening cough
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Sore throat
- Runny nose, sneezing, congestion
- Muscle/joint/body aches
- Feeling unwell/unusual tiredness
- Acute loss of sense of smell or taste
When Not at Work, You Must Self-Isolate, Including:
Not going to public areas, including grocery stores or other retail outlets
Restroom breaks and refueling your vehicle are permitted, provided you maintain physical distancing from others, wear a non-medical mask and pay at the pump where possible
- Arranging no-contact delivery medication and other essentials;
- Arranging no-contact delivery of food where at all possible; drive-through is permitted or fast-food service, provided you maintain physical distancing from others and wear a non-medical mask. Eat-in and dining room service is not permitted.
- Not attending public events, places of worship, restaurants/bars, arenas, and gyms;
- Not visiting or hosting people, including friends and family; and
- See also COVID-19 self-isolation.
If you are in PEI for greater than 24 hrs, and/or staying somewhere other than your truck, or planning to visit family, you must apply for pre-travel approval.
There is a testing clinic at 20 Dickie Road in Borden, open daily from 8:00am to 6:00pm, with rapid point of care testing available. You can also schedule an appointment at a specific location by calling 1-855-354-4358.
Remember to bring your health card when you go to a testing clinic.
Access your COVID-19 test results online within 72 hours with your PEI Health Card.