COVID-19 Information for Truck Drivers
PEI resident truck drivers (whether driving locally, nationally or internationally) do not have to self-isolate when in PEI if they are registered as rotational workers and are tested for COVID-19 at the required frequency.
In Order to be Exempt from Self-Isolation Restrictions, you must:
- Complete the online application for rotational worker status and receive a letter of approval from Public Health.
- Be tested for COVID-19 on days 0-1, 4-6 and 9-11 (depending how long you remain in the province). Testing frequency resets with each arrival; if there are multiple visits each week, there should be at least one test every 5 days. If you are leaving PEI within 48 hours of your next scheduled test, you are required to get tested before leaving.
- Where possible, workers are advised to self-isolate, including away from the rest of their household, after each arrival into PEI until receiving their first negative COVID-19 test result.
If you do not get tested at the required frequency, you must remain in self-isolation for 14 days or for the duration of your stay in PEI (if less than 14 days).
While in PEI:
- Keep a physical distance of 2m(6ft) from others when in public places
- Wear a non-medical mask when in public places
- Monitor for symptoms of COVID-19
- Follow all public health measures, including:
- Keeping your circle of contacts small
- Practicing good hand hygiene and cough etiquette
- Get tested for COVID-19 at the required frequency
- The list of registered PEI resident truck drivers will be used to contact truck drivers to offer immunization when available for this group. If you have registered as a commercial truck driver, you will be contacted directly by Health PEI to set up your vaccine appointment.
- If you haven't registered, do so now
While Working You Must:
- Maintain physical distancing of two metres or six feet from individuals
- Wear a non-medical mask
- Practice hand hygiene
- Monitor your health for symptoms of COVID-19:
- New or worsening cough
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Sore throat
- Runny nose, sneezing, congestion
- Muscle/joint/body aches
- Feeling unwell/unusual tiredness
- Acute loss of sense of smell or taste
When Not at Work, You Must Self-Isolate, Including:
Not going to public areas, including grocery stores or other retail outlets
Restroom breaks and refueling your vehicle are permitted, provided you maintain physical distancing from others, wear a non-medical mask and pay at the pump where possible
- Arranging no-contact delivery medication and other essentials;
- Arranging no-contact delivery of food where at all possible; drive-through is permitted or fast-food service, provided you maintain physical distancing from others and wear a non-medical mask. Eat-in and dining room service is not permitted.
- Not attending public events, places of worship, restaurants/bars, arenas, and gyms;
- Not visiting or hosting people, including friends and family; and
- See also COVID-19 self-isolation.
If you are in PEI for greater than 24 hrs, and/or staying somewhere other than your truck, or planning to visit family, you must apply for pre-travel approval.
For your convenience, there is a testing clinic located at 20 Dickie Road in Borden, open daily from 8:00am to 3:00pm. It is also possible to schedule an appointment at a specific location by calling 1-855-354-4358.
Remember to bring your health card when you go to a testing clinic.
Access your COVID-19 test results online within 72 hours with your PEI Health Card.