Emergency Medicine - Locum Opportunity – Alberton, PEI
Come and spend time during the most beautiful months of the year in picturesque Prince Edward Island! World class beaches and stunning views await you and your family.
The Western Hospital Emergency Department (ED), located in Alberton, Prince Edward Island, is looking for locum physicians to provide coverage from May-October 2022.
The Western Hospital ED is open 7 days a week, seeing over 11,000 patients per year. The ED has access to a point of care ultrasound. Other services within the hospital include lab services, DI (XRAY & ECG), primary care, public health, ambulatory care, and palliative care. The inpatient unit includes 25 beds with six family physicians rotating coverage. The closest referral center is the Prince County Hospital in Summerside, a 45-minute drive away.
At the Western Hospital an innovative tele-rounding model is in place. This is a first-of-its-kind model in Canada. This virtual inpatient rounding model utilizes remote physicians and onsite nursing support for unaffiliated patients who require care.
- $175.00 per hour
- 31% of submitted and approved shadow-billing based on the Master Agreement between the Medical Society of PEI, the Government of Prince Edward Island and Health PEI.
- For additional details, please refer to the Master Agreement; and
- Additional separate billing fees from third-party payers (for example Worker's Compensation and Quebec/International patients).
Hours of Work:
- The shifts consist of 8:00am – 8:00pm coverage.
- At 8:00pm, the ED turns into a Collaborative Emergency Centre (CEC) staffed by an RN, ACP and a remote on-call emergency physician until 8:00am the following morning.
- Overnight Inpatient coverage required. After the ED shift concludes at 8:00pm the Emergency Medicine physician stays onsite (in the Doctor’s apartment on the inpatient unit) to cover the inpatient unit.
- Return travel based on economy airfare. If traveling by car, mileage rates are determined by PEI Treasury Board Policy and cannot exceed economy airfare.
- Coverage of application fees with the Medical Society of PEI and some application fees with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of PEI; and
- Locum support stipend to offset the cost of accommodations and other living expenses: $200/day worked June - September and $150/day worked October – May*Incentives are subject to conditions and maximum eligible costs for reimbursement*
Certifications and Requirements:
- Eligibility for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of PEI;
- Eligibility for appointment to the Health PEI Medical Staff and appropriate privileging; and
- FRCP(EM), CCFP (EM), or equivalent experience preferred.
To apply, please email your CV to:
email@example.com or call (902) 368-6302