Environmental Health Role
Environmental Health works to protect the public health of Islanders and visitors through education, enforcement of Acts and regulations and inspections of public and private services and facilities.
What inspection services are provided?
Environmental Health provides inspection services for the following facilities:
- Food Premises
- Child Care Facilities
- Long Term Care Facilities (Community Care Facilities and Nursing Homes)
- Swimming Pools and Whirlpools
- Tobacco and Electronic Smoking Device Retailers
- Meat Processing Facilities (Slaughterhouses)
- Tanning Facilities
- Personal Services
- Milk Processing Facilities
- Radiation Emitting Devices
What information or consulting services are provided?
Environmental Health also addresses questions, concerns, and complaints related to:
- Food Safety
- Safefood: Handle With Care
- How to Report a Foodborne Illness
- Boil Water Advisories
- Smoke Free Places
- Environmental/Public Health
- Animal Bite Investigations
- Rental Accommodations
- Housing of Temporary Foreign Workers. Also: Information Sheet and Inspection Form.
Who can I contact to discuss these topics?
Title: Environmental Health Office, Department of Health and Wellness
Telephone: (902) 368-4970
Toll Free: 1(800) 958-6400
Fax: (902) 368-6468