Family Medicine Sponsorship Program
The Family Medicine Sponsorship Program is a program of the Department of Health and Wellness designed to support proactive physician succession planning. The program provides funding for selected medical students pursuing Family Medicine as a profession. The funds will be paid directly to the students in the form of stipends to assist with their medical education expenses. A contract will be signed requiring the student to complete a Return-in-Service commitment to Prince Edward Island to work in the area of greatest need upon the completion of their training. Candidates’ location preferences will be taken into consideration as well.
Who is eligible for the program?
- Students enrolled in a recognized Canadian Medical School; and
- Students who are currently in their fourth year of medicine, and set to complete a Family Medicine Residency Program in year 2023; and
- Students who are interested in pursuing a career in Family Medicine.
Eligible applicants who apply to this program will participate in competitive selection process. Preference will be given to Prince Edward Island residents.
What is the deadline for applications?
May 31, 2021 at 4:00pm AST
When can I apply?
How do I apply?
Complete the application form and scan and submit all supporting documentation to the email address found at the bottom of the application.
What is required to apply for the program?
To apply for this program the following documentation is required:
- a completed application form along with a copy of a current curriculum vitae (CV);
- an official transcript of marks from all years of medical school training to date;
- three letters of reference from clinical preceptors and/or medical school professors;
- an essay (3-5 pages double spaced) identifying why you should be chosen to participate in the PEI Family Medicine Sponsorship Program and what you would bring to the Province of PEI as a new physician practicing in rural PEI.
Frequently Asked Questions
If successful, what will I receive as a financial incentive and what will be my commitment?
If you are in your fourth year of medical school, you will receive a financial incentive of $80,000, paid in instalments as follows:
- $40,000 stipend in 4th year of medical school; and
- $20,000 stipend during 1st year of Residency Training
- $20,000 stipend during 2nd year of Residency Training
Return-in-service commitment: The successful applicant will be required to practice for 5 years in an area of greatest need, which will be determined by Department of Health & Wellness and Health PEI, upon completion of residency training.
These stipends are based on the average cost of tuition, fees and living expenses at Canadian medical schools. The funds are to help offset education expenses.
"Please note - payment installment amounts may vary in accordance with budget cycles"
Will I be notified if my application has been received?
Yes, you will be notified by email once your complete application has been received.
When will I know if I have been selected?
On or before June 30th, 2021
Will I be notified if I have not been successful?
Yes, by email.
If I should change my mind during medical school training and not choose family medicine, what will be required of me?
You must notify the Recruitment and Retention Secretariat (firstname.lastname@example.org) of your change in plans and you will be required to repay the funds plus interest as per the return-in-service contract.
If I should decide not to return to PEI upon completion of my residency training to fulfil my return-in-service commitment, what will be required of me?
You must notify the Recruitment and Retention Secretariat of your change in plans and you will be required to repay the funds plus interest as per the return-in-service contract.
How will it be determined by the Department of Health and Wellness where I will be working upon completion of my training?
The Department of Health and Wellness will consult with Health PEI to determine the area of greatest need at that time. Candidates’ location preferences will be taken into consideration as well.
Department of Health and Wellness
Recruitment and Retention Secretariat
16 Fitzroy Street, 3rd Floor Sullivan Bldg., PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE, C1A 7N8
Tel: 902- 620-3874