Family Physician – Rural Acute Care
Health PEI is seeking family physicians to work in the West Prince region of Prince Edward Island, A rural medicine setting. Physicians would provide services which may include shifts in the Emergency Department at Western Hospital, inpatient rounds and on-call coverage within the hospitals, and work in community-based clinics (for example, covering leaves of absence in existing practices or shifts in urgent care clinics). This physician would not have an assigned panel of patients.
Western Hospital in Alberton is a rural acute care facility with an emergency department that operates between 8 am and 8 pm, and has an inpatient unit with 25 beds, 23 medical, 2 palliative. Community Hospital in O’Leary is an extended care facility with 9 convalescent beds and 4 palliative beds. Coverage for palliative patients is not required.
Health PEI operates four collaborative health centres in West Prince for delivery of primary care services in a team-based model in the communities of Alberton, O’Leary, Tyne Valley, and Tignish.
Health PEI is a crown corporation responsible for the delivery of publicly funded health services in Prince Edward Island. Health PEI's Head Office is located at 16 Garfield Street, Charlottetown, PEI.
Physicians have the option of a salaried, fee for service, or contract-for-service payment modality. Emergency room coverage is remunerated at an hourly rate. Information related to payment modalities, including salary; fee-for-service tariff of fees; blended payments (shadow billings); on-call payments; and benefits including paid vacation entitlements, CME funding, RRSP program, and more can be found in the Master Agreement.
To discuss remuneration and options in further detail, contact the Recruitment and Retention Secretariat at email@example.com
Hours of work
The salaried physician will be required to work 7.5 hours per day/37.5 hours per week. After hours and/or weekend call will be required for those times where inpatient service is being provided.
• Return-in-Service Grant and eligible Moving Expense reimbursements are available. Click here for more information;
• Daily on call stipend and annual incentive for coverage of a rural hospital as per Section C2.5 of the Master Agreement.
• Opportunity to teach with the PEI Residency Training Program with faculty appointment at Dalhousie University;
• Opportunity to teach medical students via both Dalhousie University and Memorial University Medical Schools;
• Training for, and use of, a hospital-based electronic health record system with access to lab and x-ray reports; and
• Training for, and use of, a community-based electronic health record system.
Certifications and Other Requirements
• MCCQE Part I and MCCQE Part II (LMCC);
• Eligibility for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of PEI;
• Appointment to the Health PEI Medical Staff and appropriate privileging;
• CCFP physicians will be given priority; and
• Work experience preferable.
Health Care Workers are required to provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination as per Health PEI’s Covid-19 Immunization and Management Policy. In the event that a new hire is unable to be vaccinated as a result of a medical exemption they will be required to submit supporting documentation to Employee Health / Wellness and Safety.
To apply, send your c.v. to:
Physician Recruitment Coordinator
Recruitment & Retention Secretariat
"In the event of a discrepancy in information on this website and the Master Agreement, the Master Agreement shall prevail."
This competition may be used to staff similar positions of this nature in the future.