Gambling Support Line
Where can Islanders ask questions and get support?
Call the PEI Gambling Support line toll-free at 1-855-255-4255 for FREE, confidential and dedicated telephone service. The phone line is available to all Islanders 24 hours a day, seven days a week. There is no time limit on calls.
You can call the support line for yourself, a family member, friends, co-worker or affected other.
How much does the support line service cost me?
The services offered through the help line are FREE and confidential.
What happens when an Islander calls the Gambling Support Line?
Callers will receive:
- information about treatment options such as Addiction Services and self-help groups;
- immediate support, advice, and referral for yourself or a loved one; and
- ongoing support through follow up calls (if you consent to be contacted).
What is gambling?
Gambling involves the practice of risking something of value (money, valuables) on a game of chance/skill. There are many forms of gambling locally and online. Examples include:
- Video Lottery Terminals (VLT's) / slot machines
- Betting on sporting events i.e. horse racing, hockey, football
- Poker, Blackjack
- Lottery tickets / scratch tickets
- Stock markets
- Charitable gambling
How can I tell if I should reach out for support?
I should reach out for support when gambling is no longer fun and:
- gets in the way of work, school or other activities;
- harms your mental or physical health;
- hurts you or others financially; and/or
- causes problems with your family or friends.
Where can I learn more and get help for gambling?
- PEI Gambling Addiction Services - assessment, education, and counselling treatment
- Mental Health and Addictions Patient Navigation (contact MHApatientnavigator@ihis.org, or 902-218-3289)
- Bridge the Gapp - online resources for mental wellness
- Problem Gambling Institute of Ontario
- Gambling Support Group (Charlottetown): Thursdays, 4:30 to 6 p.m., at 161 St. Peter’s Rd., Suite 120, Charlottetown. Contact 902-368-4287 for more information.
What if I would like a live presentation on gambling for a local group?
A member of our team is available to provide gambling presentations on a variety of current topics to your work sites or community groups. Call or email to arrange a time that is convenient for you.
Nora McCarthy Joyce
Community Relations Specialist