Hiring Information for Physician Assistants
Physician Assistants are regulated health care professionals who practice under PEI’s Regulated Health Professions Act (RHPA) - Physician Assistants. Under the direct supervision of a Physician, the Physician Assistant (PA) will coordinate, evaluate, and provide high quality care to patients in various medical settings across Health PEI (HPEI). The activities performed by the Physician Assistant are determined by their scope of practice and the agreement established with the supervising medical practitioner or medical practitioners.
Working with the supervising physician, and in consideration of the PA’s training, experience, and practice setting, PA responsibilities may include the following:
- Direct Patient Care:
- Consult patients including obtaining clinical history, collecting information from all available resources, meet with family members, and actively work with a multi-disciplinary team to develop care plans;
- Educate and follow-up with patients to support continuity of care and support;
- Conduct physical assessments and summarize findings;
- Complete diagnostic work-up including ordering diagnostic tests, lab work, and procedures, as agreed upon with supervising physician;
- Monitor patient progress and response to treatment; and
- Perform reserved activities as specified by the RHPA, Physician Assistant Regulations.
- Provide relevant information and explanations, including proposed treatment plans to the supervising physician and seek further direction where appropriate; and
- Provide education to patients, families, and other health providers as appropriate to the clinical setting.
- Medical Documentation and Record Keeping:
- Complete assessment and reassessment notes, critical care documentation, procedure notes and discharge instructions as needed;
- Dictate records as appropriate;
- Complete consultation requests;
- Ensure accurate medical billing and coding; and
- Complete other types of documentation as required by the particular setting.
- Work shifts on days, evenings, nights, and weekends;
- Display flexibility, adaptability, and agility in a complex and sometimes stressful environment;
- Possess excellent oral, written, and verbal communication skills; and
- Other duties as required.
The applicant must meet the criteria for Physician Assistants specified by the Regulated Health Professions Act, Physician Assistant Regulations, and approved by the PEI College of Physicians and Surgeons including, but not limited to:
- Registered or be eligible for General registration with the CPSPEI as a physician assistant
- Education: the candidate must have:
- A post-secondary program in physician assisting recognized by the Physician Assistant Certification Council of Canada or accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant in the United States of America; or
- An education program that the Council considers to be substantially equivalent to one referred to in clause (must be approved by the College of Physicians and Surgeons PEI)
- Eligible to work in Canada
- Competent in using Electronic Medical Records, Office 365 and other digital platforms
- Completed PA Certification Examination (administered by PA Certification Council of Canada)
- PANCE administered by the National Commission of certification of PA in USA
- An examination the Council considered to be equivalent
Currency of Knowledge and Skills
- Successfully completed education requirements
- actively practiced PA in the province or in another jurisdiction
- successfully completed a refresher program approved by Council
- $54.44 - $62.42 per hour
- Under excluded Term
- Full-time, permanent positions
- Paid vacations, bi-weekly pay
- 100% employer paid health benefits
- Pension Plan
- Relocation assistance
This position is subject to a Criminal Record Check, including Vulnerable Sector Search, Adult Abuse and Child Abuse Registry Checks. The successful candidate will be responsible for any service charges incurred.
Interviewed candidates may be called upon to participate in a skills assessment and/or to provide evidence of educational achievements.
Physician Assistant Education Programs (Canada)
- University of Toronto
- Bachelor of Sciences Physician Assistant Degree (BScPA)
- 24-month program (6 consecutive semesters)
- McMaster University
- Bachelor of Health Sciences (Physician Assistant) BHSc(PA)
- 24-month program
- University of Manitoba
- Master of Physician Assistant Studies (MPAS)
- 25-month program