Medical Director, Prince County Primary Care Network (PCPCN)
Health PEI is seeking a dynamic physician leader to assume the position of Medical Director of the Prince County Primary Care Network. The Medical Director, PCPCN will provide medical leadership and expertise for the physician community in Prince County. Specific functions of the role include policy development and planning, human resource management, quality monitoring and improvement, leadership, risk management, communication with physicians, continuing education, liaison between administration and physicians and general management and administration duties. The Medical Director is expected to develop and demonstrate the capabilities of a leader as defined in the “LEADS” capability framework; Leads Self, Engage Others, Achieve Results, Develop Coalitions and Systems Transformation.
This is an exciting opportunity to play an important role in modernizing and building a new physician leadership structure in Prince Edward Island. Reporting directly to the Chief Medical Officer, the Medical Director PCPCN will work collaboratively with other physician leaders and management teams across all of the Primary Care Networks, to promote consistent standards and practices to achieve excellence in patient care.
One (1) position beginning immediately
Contract - Up to 12 month term (Negotiable)
• Promote a collaborative multi-disciplinary team environment where members work together to complete projects, participate in problem solving, and work collectively and collaboratively to achieve goals and meet deadlines;
• Provide advice to the Chief Medical Officer and other members of the Executive Leadership Team and senior managers on medical/clinical and administrative matters;
• Establish priorities, strategies and plans to achieve stated outcomes, goals and objectives as part of the Medical Affairs, the Prince County Primary Care Network Management team; and all of the leaders across the Primary Care Networks
• Coach and mentor program physicians;
• Promote a healthy, inclusive and safe work environment;
• Promote the profile of primary care to support recruitment and retention strategy for PEI;
• Review and address patient complaints concerning medical staff pursuant to Medical Staff Bylaws, as required;
• Inform and support strategic direction and operational plan for primary care;
• Participate in quality improvement processes, including incident reviews, safety enhancements and innovation opportunities ; and
• Work collegially with physicians and managers to ensure that appropriate medical programs, utilization and services meet the needs of the West Prince community
Option 1: $147.90 per hour (with benefits)
Option 2: $173.17 per hour (without benefits)
Hours of work
0.4 - 0.6 FTE Administrative (Negotiable)
Certifications and Other Requirements
• License (or eligibility for same) to practice medicine in Prince Edward Island.
• CCFP certification is preferred.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• A Membership in Good Standing with the Medical Society of Prince Edward Island.
• A Membership in the Canadian Medical Protective Association.
• Experience in medical administration and additional training in physician management (MS-PEI PLDP Masters Certificate, CCPE certification, PMI or similar courses) or equivalent management education.
• A broad understanding of health care, involvement in acute care and managing the complex issues in the continuum of care.
• Broad knowledge, background and interest and experience in clinical practice and use of best practice guidelines.
• Experience in management of quality initiatives using principles of quality management and implementing change.
• Working knowledge of Health PEI Medical Staff By‐Laws and Master Agreement between the Medical Society of PEI, Government of PEI and Health PEI.
The successful candidate will possess excellent communication and organizational skills, will be effective at engaging physicians, leading change and innovation. A collaborative, participatory leadership style is essential.
How to apply
Please submit CV and cover letter to:
16 Garfeild Street
Charlottetown, PE ClA 7N8
or by email at email@example.com
Applications will be accepted until 5:00 pm AST on Wednesday March 31, 2021