Multiple Gatherings Guidance
This guideline applies to owners and operators of businesses, services or organizations and organizers of events:
- that operate in facilities (indoor or outdoor) with separate rooms or large spaces that can accommodate more than one gathering (of up to 50 people per gathering) at a time, and/or
- that organize events with multiple groups of 50.
Multiple gatherings are permitted within a facility at the same time or over the span of an event on any one day, provided groups are kept separate, do not mix, and the following conditions are met:
- Multiple indoor gatherings are only permitted in facilities:
- With separate rooms; or
- With large open spaces (e.g. gymnasium), which are separated by a barrier between groups (such as with a rope, curtain, glass or temporary fence to establish clear boundaries) to restrict mixing (“indoor zone”).1
- Multiple gatherings are permitted in outdoor facilities (e.g. soccer field) with a barrier between groups (such as with a rope, curtain, glass or temporary fence, to establish clear boundaries) to restrict mixing (“outdoor zone”).1
- Indoor and outdoor zones in large open spaces must be separated by at least 2 metres (6 feet).
- Within each room or zone, groups of 50 persons or less are permitted provided two-metres of distancing between each member of the group or household or table/seating area as per the gathering guidance, can be maintained.
- Entry and exit points, hallways and common areas, facilities such as washrooms and change rooms, and concessions and retail sales areas, cannot be shared by multiple groups occupying the facility at the same time, unless the following measures are in place:
- Separate entry and exit times are in place for groups;
- Concessions and retail sales with separate times for separate groups;
- Where separate washrooms for groups are not possible,
- No more than 150 people (3 groups of 50) may share a single set of washrooms,
- Ensure hand washing stations or hand sanitizing products are available for use, and re –stocked as needed,
- Frequent cleaning and disinfection,
- Ensure there is an ability to maintain physical distancing within the washroom at all times,
- Strongly recommend individuals wear a non-medical mask (non-medical masks required for indoor public spaces, with some exceptions), and
- A dedicated attendant is available to monitor use and ensure physical distancing is maintained if the event includes more than 150 people.
- If staff, volunteers or instructors are involved in the activities, they form part of the group they are working with and should not mix with other groups, where at all reasonably possible. If they must mix, they must ensure to maintain physical distancing at all times from individuals OR if the potential for brief interaction within six feet exists, wearing a non-medical mask is strongly recommended (non-medical masks required for indoor public spaces, with some exceptions). If anyone will need to be in close contact with people in a group, they should be limited to that group.
- Common areas or central rooms cannot be used to host a gathering if persons from other groups will be travelling through the space, unless a designated aisle, a minimum of 6 ft wide, is formed, and any individuals passing through from another group are monitored to ensure that interaction between the two groups does not occur.
Organizers hosting more than 50 persons in total across all gatherings at one time or over the span of an event require prior approval of the Chief Public Health Officer. Organizers, owners and/or operators of facilities must submit the operational plan to the Chief Public Health Office that includes a description of how they will ensure the above directives are followed. Email email@example.com.
For plans with greater than 150 people, organizers, owners and/or operators of facilities must submit the operational plan to the Chief Public Health Office a minimum of 15 business days in advance of the event, including a description of how it will ensure the above directives are followed. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.